Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU have a fabric jones? >

Do YOU have a fabric jones?

Do YOU have a fabric jones?

Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 AM

Red face Do YOU have a fabric jones?

Hello quilting divas and dons,

Apparently I have a "thing" for textiles. The feel, the smell, you name it. I've only started visiting LQS's over the last six months and boy oh boy is the stock eye candy or what? I could spend hours in a fabric store looking and touching but I do not so the owners don't get antsy. I even have to nerve to think it would be cool to own a fabric shop.

When I was growing up fabric could be purchased from a variety of venues. However, soon stores that sold fabric became further and further away. Thankfully the Internet was created. But nothing, I say nothing takes the place of being able to see and feel IRL before deciding upon a purchase.

Do you have a "thing" for fabric too?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-07-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: language - other member complaint
Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Of course that is why I am on this board. I doubt if you will find 1 person on here who doesn't LOVE fabric
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM

I've had a few fabric therapy visits to our LQS. Not to buy, just to fondle a few fabrics and get inspired again.

Cheers, K
Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 AM

Oh yes, I have always loved fabric. I think that is why I went into Interior Design in college. Though it's funny, I have never sewed. My love went into sheets, comforters ect. Now with quilting, it's a perfect fit.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 AM

Quilt Shops KNOW you want to touch the fabric....lol. This board is proof of our addiction.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Oh yes, I have always loved fabric. I think that is why I went into Interior Design in college. Though it's funny, I have never sewed. My love went into sheets, comforters ect. Now with quilting, it's a perfect fit.

Yess! That reads like the perfect fit. Now that you mention it I have been on a sheet thing as a result of being financially challenged of late. When I married (semi-recently) I was given the choice of not working away from the home to allow time to pursue more important things. I didn't account for the less money part, LOL. Anywho, I now search for thrifted vintage sheets and make garments with them. Not original, who knew folk actually use bed sheets for sewing. I Googled and found I am in good company.

Interior design is such a beautiful field to pursue. What a life you must lead, toverly. Speaking of textiles, Moroccan, Indian, Egyptian, African are my favorite interiors. Those Moors knew what they were doing. :-)

Last edited by lovinlocks; 06-30-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 AM

I like to joke that I took up quilting just so I'd have an excuse to buy all the lovely fabrics I was always drooling over...it IS a joke but just barely! I love fabrics; I could easily spend a whole day browsing around in a new fabric shop!

I can't decide if it's a pity or not, that my love of fabric and color and design does NOT apply to clothing, at all. My closet is full of identical pairs of jeans and black tee-shirts. Simple, basic, boring....easy! I just don't care about fashion. But in my quilting, my tastes are the opposite! Bring on the bright colors, and I've never made the same quilt twice.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 AM

I love fabric! When my kids were young, they called House of Fabrics, House of Four Hours. They knew if Momma got near any fabric shop, we would be there minimum of 4 hours.

Btw, this is my first post -- this board is awesome! It's been a long time since I have been on a board where people are this nice and helpful.

Lollie
Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mouskalollie View Post
I love fabric! When my kids were young, they called House of Fabrics, House of Four Hours. They knew if Momma got near any fabric shop, we would be there minimum of 4 hours.

Btw, this is my first post -- this board is awesome! It's been a long time since I have been on a board where people are this nice and helpful.

Lollie
LOL and welcome to the QB
Old 07-07-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I just don't care about fashion. But in my quilting, my tastes are the opposite! Bring on the bright colors, and I've never made the same quilt twice.
This reads as exciting, "never made the same quilt twice." There are so many blocks and designs sew I suppose there is no wonder. Not enough time or days to do all ya wanna do. Do you have a photo gallery up here? The way you describe your tastes and skills I know your quilts are eye candy for us.

Cheers,

L

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-07-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: language - other member complaint