Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Forcing myself to finish! >

Forcing myself to finish!

Forcing myself to finish!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

I'm working on something right now that I don't even like.....but am obsessed with. It's a 6 point star quilt, I'm simply awful at doing it, and doing it "the hard way", and it was not even "my" project but triangles my kids picked up at an estate sale. But at this point it has become a challenge. I'm determined not to let it beat me.

I've also been where you are. The only thing to do is put your mind elsewhere and just finish the darned thing. Take frequent breaks, drink wine, think about something else, and breathe a sigh of relief when it's done!

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:24 AM

You will like it better as a "finished and out of your hair" project.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Was this project your idea or someone else's?

If you are making progress on it, two thumbs up to you!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
There are two schools of thought.
#1 - Life is too short to be miserable, stuff it in a closet and move on. (I was making a baby blanket, got to the point I was sick of it, moved on, found one I love, finished in no time)

#2 - Pull up your big girl panties and finish the darn thing. You will be a better person if you finish what you started. It is a learning experience. Strong people come through in tough times - blah, blah, blah

You actually know your answer. Pick which is you.
So so so true.

I think the only time one HAS to be committed to #2 is if it is a commissioned project.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I can relate to being stuck on following through on a commitment. I made one that I need to deliver on and I will feel ever so much better when I have that done.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Go into your sewing room and make a quick HAPPY little project. This will break your thinking it is a chore. Perhaps a small tote for this mom to fill with new baby stuff (just in case you don't get the quilt done in time). Every one of us has a project that stopped being fun and became work and so we did not want to finish it (that's a major reason the phrase UFO is known to all!). Try to look at the quilt in components - just do the 2 borders - then walk away. Next do the backing and sandwich it. Then do a simplified quilting plan - something that can be done without pressure like STID and a diagonal stitch. I think when you are at this point and you see the end in sight, it will let you finish quickly and you can pat yourself on he back for completing it. And, remember, this is going to a little one to keep warm and cuddly!!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM

As you go to sleep at night picture in your head a sweet baby girl playing on that quilt, and then think of her a little older putting her doll to bed under it, and then think of her as a young woman using it for her own baby. There might be some motivation in there somewhere. Keep reminding yourself how good it will feel to have it done and out of your sight. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Just do it. You will feel so much better when it's done.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

I think you just needed to vent to people who would understand. Then you were able to deal with finishing it. Hope you are about done by now and can move on to something you enjoy more. Good for you, finishing it. Now remember that you hate working on those colors and don't ever do that to yourself again!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:09 AM

I reach a point where I suck it up and finish. I find that's better than having it hang over me.