Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Forcing myself to finish! >

Forcing myself to finish!

Forcing myself to finish!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Default Forcing myself to finish!

It's just a little baby quilt. Very simple, not a difficult pattern at all. But I'm so sick of looking at pink and purple, I just can't stand it! It needs two more borders, then do the backing, sandwich, quilt, bind, and move on to the next project. And for some reason, I just don't know why, but I simply cannot STAND working on this thing! I find myself avoiding the sewing room because I hate the project I'm working on. The problem is, in about 3 weeks, I'm going to visit my best friend, and this quilt is for her daughter who is due to pop at some point this summer. And I hate having something hang over my head almost as much as I am growing to hate working on this project, so putting it off is just not an option. At this point, I'll be working for a couple of hours each night this week and who knows how long in my long weekend to get this monkey off of my back!

So how do you handle having to finish something you just don't want to work on?
Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM

I put it in the closet in the hopes that one day I'll want to work on it. I did finish it eventually and I still didn't like it.

Isn't it possible for you to work up a really quick baby quilt that you actually like in time to give away?

Life's too short to dread working on something.

Watson
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM

I make a do list.......
1) work on quilt 1 hr on monday from 8-9pm
2) work on quilt 1 hr on tuesday from 5-6pm

Then I hang it up and stop obsessing over it all the other hrs in the day, and just do it to the schedule & cross it off when done each day. Turn on the radio and stay somewhat distracted while you are working on it, Good Luck
Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Stop and make a different one. Put the awful quilt away and let it simmer in time. You can make this in less then day. I never ask what colors do you want when making a baby quilt. I give two choices, bright colors or calming colors.
Free pattern: http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=184 This is my go to baby quilt pattern.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Do you have a particular quilt that you are really looking forward to starting on? I find that thinking about an anticipated project and putting the fabrics out where I can see them is a great incentive to push forward on finishing the quilts that are ahead of it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM

Maybe you can find a couple small sewing projects (Mug Rug, placemats, bookmarks, etc) just to reset your brain. That's what I do when I just can't find the motivation to work on a particular UFO. Sometimes its just the fact that you finished A PROJECT, ANY project, and can move on to the one that made you stuck.
And just think, if you finished this quilt that you hate looking at, once it's done and given as a gift, you will probably never have to see it again!!!
Teri
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I love pink and purple, would not be a problem for me. Just put on your big girl pants and do it for your friend.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Just work on it a little bit every other day and you will be finished before you realize it.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM

Turn on some good music or a movie to distract you while you sew this quilt. Just remember it will be making someone very happy. And you will be happy once it is off your list
Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM

Grit your teeth and get it done. At least that's what I do. I just finished a quilt out of someone else's stash for my ladies church group. Couldn't stand it. It was in Autumn colors and I am a brights, batiks and water color person. But I got it done. It feels so good to finish.