Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like >

Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

Okay, here's the deal. A friend of my son's asked if I could make a quilt for her sister's baby. I love this young lady, we've known her for years so I immediately said yes. No problem...EXCEPT she has VERY particular ideas about what she wants. I'm all for the creative process, but we went today so she could buy the fabric and I HATE what she wants me to do. I made suggestions, but she was adamant. I know, I need to put on my big girl panties and just get 'er done, but was wondering if you have tricks that you use to get past a task that you aren't looking forward to.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM

I made my nephew a quilt I wasn't excited about and I just kept telling myself how excited he would be when he got it. That thought got me through.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM

I bait myself to do it with the promise of a reward at the end ... typically fabric and/or chocolate ...sometimes both .
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

My son wanted a Double Wedding Ring with the background being "mossy oak" camo fabric. I thought it would be ulgy but it was very pretty. Put off your judgement until you see the final product. Take a deep breath and dive right in. I know it can be hard to sew something/a color you don't really care for, but it will turn out great.
D
Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Yes Michelle, I do have a strategy for this type of situation. Plan to do just five minutes on the hated task, tell yourself that its just a beginning and before you know it five minutes has turned into two hours. I used to give this advice to my teenagers and their friends at school assignment time and it worked every time.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Did she dictate what you could quilt on it? If not you can just make up the quilt and think of it as FMQ practice. I also work best with the reward system and chocolate and fabric sounds good.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM

Good luck - I have learned the hard way not to say yes. I know I'm selfish but I only want to sew what I want and when I want.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I only want to sew what I want and when I want.
I feel the SAME way. I've had people tell me I should make quilts and sell them etc. I sew for my pleasure and only with fabrics that I like. Otherwise for me it would be a chore and not as much fun or inspiration. But that's just me.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM

I did this recently, the finished quilt is in the pictures section called "Garden of Gold" I really hated the fabrics, not sure why I bought them. but once it was quilted, OMG it is soooo pretty. I still dont like the colors but it isnt for me, so I dont have to like them. Hang in there, am sure it will turn out great!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM

I go with the reward system as well. It's what gets me through cleaning and bill paying instead of other fun stuff - quilting or not!