Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foxing on Fabric >

Foxing on Fabric

Foxing on Fabric

Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Default Foxing on Fabric

Our guild program this month was Ellen DeWind, a quilt/garment conservator/restorer from Buffalo NY. So interesting! and just enough humor. You know those brown spots that appear on old fabric?... they are called foxing, probably because they tend to be fox-colored. She uses Orvis to lighten the spots. Then she takes a cotton swab and puts a dot of hydrogen peroxide on it, rinsing immediately. Repeat as needed. I know this topic comes up from time to time here on the QB. If you have only one item, she said don't run out and get the Orvis, but use liquid detergent... not soap.

Does anyone remember your grandmother [or yourself] laying laundered whites out on the bushes or grass? The interaction of the chlorophyll and the sun naturally bleaches your whites. It should also work on natural dye colors, but don't do it more than once on them.

If you had your wedding dress dry cleaned, wrapped in blue tissue, or non- acid-free tissue, and then sealed in plastic, take it out immediately! If it has survived in good condition, wash it gently, dry flat for days turning as needed, wrap in acid-free tissue, store in a sheet or pillowcase, and store in the same environment that you live in... not the attic or basement.

If you need to replace a worn out fabric in a quilt, cover it with tulle, stitch in the ditch, and trim very close to the stitching. If the fabric is too damaged, needle turn a patch of fabric from the same time period over it and stitch. In both cases, document the repairs. It does not change the value of the quilt.

This is only a small portion of the advice given in her lecture. She was so worth having for our program! She also allowed you to bring your quilt for her to see if it is worth fixing and suggestions for doing so.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-19-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: correct spelling of her last name
Old 02-18-2018, 05:17 AM

Some great tips Thanks for posting.
I remember my DGM putting white sheets on the bushes in the sun. On cold, bright fall/winter nights she also put quilts on the outdoor clothesline overnight to get musty smells out. It had to be a night that had a low wind and not too much frost. The idea was that the quilts would move gently in the cold night air releasing the odors. Not sure if it worked. I do remember that night air had a beautiful fresh smell back then...always loved walking on those kind of nights. Doing that now would probably make the quilts smell worse because of the air pollution.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 AM

foxing is a term also used for old books, same kind of spots. Causes are not well understood.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 AM

Interesting info!! Thank you for passing it on! She sounds like she was a very interesting guest for your guild!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Interesting and helpful info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

My mom always used bluing on whites. And always hung clothes out. When it was really cold, say -40 F, the clothes would freeze solid. Then they would be all over the house to thaw. When I was 7, we got a basement. So when it was frigid, the clothes were hung in the basement to dry. And until we out the basement in, the washer was a wringer washer in a lean-to shed between the outside back door and the door to the kirchen.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Very informative, Nan.... Sounds like a seminar I would have enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Default Contact?

Any chance of PMing me with contact info? Sounds like someone I'd like to recommend to my quilt guild program committee. Barb

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Our guild program this month was Ellen DeWind, a quilt/garment conservator/restorer from Buffalo NY. So interesting! and just enough humor. You know those brown spots that appear on old fabric?... they are called foxing, probably because they tend to be fox-colored. She uses Orvis to lighten the spots. Then she takes a cotton swab and puts a dot of hydrogen peroxide on it, rinsing immediately. Repeat as needed. I know this topic comes up from time to time here on the QB. If you have only one item, she said don't run out and get the Orvis, but use liquid detergent... not soap.

Does anyone remember your grandmother [or yourself] laying laundered whites out on the bushes or grass? The interaction of the chlorophyll and the sun naturally bleaches your whites. It should also work on natural dye colors, but don't do it more than once on them.

If you had your wedding dress dry cleaned, wrapped in blue tissue, or non- acid-free tissue, and then sealed in plastic, take it out immediately! If it has survived in good condition, wash it gently, dry flat for days turning as needed, wrap in acid-free tissue, store in a sheet or pillowcase, and store in the same environment that you live in... not the attic or basement.

If you need to replace a worn out fabric in a quilt, cover it with tulle, stitch in the ditch, and trim very close to the stitching. If the fabric is too damaged, needle turn a patch of fabric from the same time period over it and stitch. In both cases, document the repairs. It does not change the value of the quilt.

This is only a small portion of the advice given in her lecture. She was so worth having for our program! She also allowed you to bring your quilt for her to see if it is worth fixing and suggestions for doing so.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-19-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: correction in quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
My mom always used bluing on whites. And always hung clothes out. When it was really cold, say -40 F, the clothes would freeze solid. Then they would be all over the house to thaw. When I was 7, we got a basement. So when it was frigid, the clothes were hung in the basement to dry. And until we out the basement in, the washer was a wringer washer in a lean-to shed between the outside back door and the door to the kirchen.
I identify with this. (raised in Syracuse, N.Y.)