Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homespun fabric grain >

Homespun fabric grain

Homespun fabric grain

Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Homespun fabric grain

I have a collection of 9" x WOF homespuns. Some are plaid and some of the plaids are not straight. Or maybe the fabric is not cut straight??

I've been reading how to find the straight grain in fabric and it looks like the pattern in homespun is indeed the grain?

Which would mean I have to cut some of my pieces smaller than the 9" they currently are in order to make the plaid straight.

Is that right? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM

don't really know what you are asking. If you have been reading how to find the straight of grain in fabric, you know to pull a thread across the WOF. and you probably also read that not all plaids follow the straight of grain, especially if the fabric was printed off grain during the manufacturing process. Homespuns are usually "woven" on grain so the plaid will match the grain. Again, you can confirm this with a simple thread-pull test. As I pull the thread, I usually trim the fabric along the pull line so my fabric finishes to be cut on the grain line. If this line is not 90 degrees off the selvage, I then pull the fabric from corner to corner to straighten the fabric. This is essential when making draperies and well draping garments, not sure it is necessary in quilting.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

If you use a base square (or any shape really) to sew them to it will not matter if the grain is straight or not. Many old time quilters made tops this way to use up all of the scrap fabric. Just make sure the base fabric shapes are on the straight of grain.

The stores sometimes wrap the fabric wrong onto the cardboard and it is off grain. In this case sometimes a good tug corner to corner will bring it back into line. Sometimes you will need steam to accomplish a straight of grain set. In that case, pin it to your ironing board straight and lightly steam. Don't scrub on it, press from the back to help keep the homespun look. Allow it to cool in place to set the fabric on grain.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-20-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
don't really know what you are asking. If you have been reading how to find the straight of grain in fabric, you know to pull a thread across the WOF. and you probably also read that not all plaids follow the straight of grain, especially if the fabric was printed off grain during the manufacturing process. Homespuns are usually "woven" on grain so the plaid will match the grain. Again, you can confirm this with a simple thread-pull test. As I pull the thread, I usually trim the fabric along the pull line so my fabric finishes to be cut on the grain line. If this line is not 90 degrees off the selvage, I then pull the fabric from corner to corner to straighten the fabric. This is essential when making draperies and well draping garments, not sure it is necessary in quilting.
Thank you for your reply Jane. Yes, in my searches I read what you said above in red. But then I also read that homespun is different and the stripes ARE the grain. That was my confusion. If that's the case, then I'm going to have to cut some of the small pieces into even smaller pieces so the plaids are straight.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks Red. I don't think a tug will do it in my case! Some of them are really off kilter and I think would look bad in a quilt. I'm thinking of a series of rectangles, like a brick wall almost. So it's looking like I'll have to cut the pieces on the lines to make the plaid straight.

Or perhaps I'll set the off kilter ones aside for a different project entirely!! Something smaller so the waste that I have to cut off won't matter so much.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 PM

Homespun is one of those fabrics that is made with the thread already dyed when it is woven ;think of a rug on a loom, versus using a gris (base fabric) which is then dyed. That is why the thread 'is the grain'. When I worked at a fabric store, we chose a thread and cut following that thread. Sounds like your pieces were not cuy that way so if it is important to keep the pattern straight, yes, you will have to trim. I hope I helped explained.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanks Charlie (or is it Charleen?) In any event, that does answer my question. I think I will set aside the worst of the homespun so I can keep the better pieces close to 9" wide.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Thanks Charlie (or is it Charleen?) In any event, that does answer my question. I think I will set aside the worst of the homespun so I can keep the better pieces close to 9" wide.
It is both, lol. Sorry about the confusion, KenmoreGal2. Looking forward to seeing your project as you progress.