Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Motion Quilting Questions

I find that the Machingers are very lightweight and don't make my hands sweat at all. They also aren't very expensive - 7.99 at JoAnn's full price, and you can use a coupon. To me they are completely worth the cost. I've never felt that I needed the glider. You do need some method of supporting the quilt's weight so it doesn't pull on the needle.

Blog Entries
    I found Leah Day's tutorials to be very helpful.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    it's usually called a darning foot. the shank will have a spring on it. i have two, one is open toe and i use that one. I took a class and we did FMQ with the feed dogs left up. worked fine but sometimes it doesn't. I usually lower mine but have had trouble with some fabrics, or battings giving me fits in moving the quilt. have fun!!!

All I use is a darning foot.

Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    The must haves - a machine and a darning/quilting foot., universal needles
    The nice to haves - feed dogs that drop, gloves, extension table, extra lighting, good wine.
    The cadillac version - supreme slider, quilting needles, topstitch needles, larger machine, full table extension with drop in for machine, design wall, huge stash, unlimited fabric budget,expensive wine,...... oops, now I'm getting into the platinum version....
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

For me:
    darning foot
    machingers
    sew slip
    basting spray

I got $3 garden gloves at a discount store and like them because they come in small size - some gloves are too big for me. Have a darning foot, and when I indicate quilting on my machine, the feed dogs go down. Never used that slidy thing and don't see how it would make a difference. I'm happy with what I can do without all the fancyschmancy stuff. Mostly just practice, practice, and more practice. I love small stippling best.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I have machingers but they get in my way. I like to tie off the first threads as soon as I can so they are out of my way. That means taking the gloves off and and on. I just grab onto the fabric as if they were ears!

I FMQ with the feed dogs up and find the back looks better. I bought a bunch of different types of threads and doodled on scrap sandwiches. Then I wrote the details - type of thread, needle used, tension setting, etc. - so I can refer back to them in the future.

Yeah...please check out Leah Day's tutorials on Y tube......free and great information!

Lots of good advice here! Good luck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast