Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 AM

I have seen the slider, but think that like other quilt tools they have made it not very cost effective. Since quilting has become so popular, the companies are taking advantage of all of us.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Practice will get you closer to being happy with your results.
I wear gloves, usually with rubber nubs. I have a 2x4' table on my left side. I try to be relaxed. I try to remember the speed I like to use. I hope for the best.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
You've gotten tonnes of good advice so far, but I figured I would chime in, too.

if you don't have a floating option on your machine. Since you say you're experiencing jerkiness, I strongly suggest investigating this option.
By this (floating option) do you mean presser foot control or dial? I do have that but have not messed with it. I've watched Leah Day's video several times but just cannot bring myself to break the foot that came with the machine. If I get a duplicate, then I may try it. She seems also to say, though, that if you can adjust the presser foot "pressure" you may not need to do this. But since I'm still getting to know the Brother machine (not nearly as comfortable with it as my old and familiar Singer(s)) and am inexperienced at FMQ, I realize I may not know what I don't know! If that makes sense. I haven't had time yet to tinker with the presser foot setting; family matters have interrupted my FMQ "study" but will when I can get back to it.

Again, all the suggestions and encouragement is so helpful. Everyone needs a pep squad and you guys are a great one!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 AM

There are two types of FMQ foot. One type "hops" at each stitch and one type glides along the fabric. The type that came with your machine is likely the hopping type. I also experienced a big change in my skill level when I got a gliding foot. It removes the little jerky motions that the hop creates.

I looked on Amazon and Brother does make a quilting foot if you ever decide you are ready to invest in one.

Watson
Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

i've quilted about 5 quilts on my friends LA machine. i'm stipple handicapped. I can do swirls and circles. so i'm not good at it at all. she said her sister sat down and did beautiful designs. some of us have it and some don't. good luck, I only use the machine every 5-6 months. I have a tablerunner to do next. I'm hoping i can do it better than i've done the quilts.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
There are two types of FMQ foot. One type "hops" at each stitch and one type glides along the fabric. The type that came with your machine is likely the hopping type. I also experienced a big change in my skill level when I got a gliding foot. It removes the little jerky motions that the hop creates.

I looked on Amazon and Brother does make a quilting foot if you ever decide you are ready to invest in one.

Watson
I actually have one in my cart there but it's like the one I already have. But I'll look into the gliding foot. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Very helpful numbers from Bree! Can't do machine bed flush with tabletop simply because I don't have that arrangement...yet
Thanks. I didn't have it for the first couple years either so what I did was build my own makeshift surround using Whitman's chocolate boxes -- had to eat the chocolate first. I highly recommend this option! -- and some shirt boxes covered in waxed paper, and just taped them to the side & back of my old Singer machine bed with masking tape. Just hunt around the house for something about the same height as your machine bed -- even as little as 4-6" extra around your machine will really make a difference in the quality & ease of your FMQ work. You just want to be sure that whatever you use is either slick (like the chocolate boxes) or covered in something slick -- waxed paper worked okay for me, but I'm sure there are probably better options out there.

There are people who spend a bit more money building up around their machine with foam insulation and wood laminate or vinyl fabric & that would work if you're interested (http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t265739.html). I decided to save up my money & build this nice little IKEA hacks table (http://frommartawithlove.com/2012/10...able-tutorial/) that is based on an IKEA Ingo dining table ($69) (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14630009/) plus a couple pieces of lumber. Because on my new Bernina 350 I have a knee lift, I had a friend add a hole for me on the front apron piece to insert my knee lift bar through to the hole in the front of my recessed machine.

Good luck & happy quilting!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Lori Kennedy is my go to girl. She has 2 classes out on Craftsy, they are super. I'm into her practicing doodling to gain muscle memory, check her site out, you won't be sorry.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:57 PM

Search for Leah Day on the Internet. She has hundreds of freemotion demonstrations that you can watch for free.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 AM

I put my dining/work table on bed risers and put my domestic machine on the lower right side of the lengthwise quadrant. I have found that I can work so much better when standing!! I have the rest of the table to catch and support the quilt so it doesn't drag me down. I only work for short periods, 'cause I get tired. Love my quilting gloves, don't use the slider so much, and don't have my standards too high! (I still struggle with even stitch length, and occasional eye-lashes, but am quilting for therapy, not perfection!!)