Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free Motion Quilting using Minky for backing

I put a minkee quilt under pictures I think last week. The back was one piece of minkee and the front minkee and cotton. The piecing nearly made me insane, but I was able to FM quilt it without any issues. I pinned it about twice as tight as I would have straight cotton and used paper patterns pinned to the quilt to guide my design. I have a Bernina with a standard arm. My design was cats linked by their tails, to it wasn't just a free, loopy design. The cats look a little crazy, but that's because I'm fairly new to FM quilting, not because of the minkee. I did just straight line quilt the border and it looks like mink, since it's a dark brown solid. If you can't find the quilt pic I will repost it.
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

Have you thought of quilting with the back on top?? I have done a few quilts that way because it was easier to mark the back. I was thinking of using it on the backing of a lap quilt. It will be interesting to see all the responses.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have used Minky for backing on three quilts for my grandkids and have not had a problem with free motion quilting them. I do pin basting only. On all three I have used a looping design. I'm new to quilting and free motion quilting, started about 3 years ago and have a Pfaff sewing machine. Love the soft feel of the Minky, especially for the kids. Just go for it!
    Last edited by suern3; 12-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.

I just did a few easy tops with minkee on the back. It works just fine!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Have you thought of quilting with the back on top?? I have done a few quilts that way because it was easier to mark the back. I was thinking of using it on the backing of a lap quilt. It will be interesting to see all the responses.
    How did you mark the minkee? I tried everything I could find and nothing worked. Made a huge mess with some water soluble markers. I ended up safety pinning paper patterns to it and quilting around them.
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2