Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? concerning using minky for backing >

? concerning using minky for backing

? concerning using minky for backing

Old 03-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Default ? concerning using minky for backing

I have 2 silly questions about using Minky for backing. I am using 2&1/2" cotton squares (can't believe I am doing this) for the front and I want to use Minky for the backing. I am not using a batting. Does it need to be quilted, there will be no batting to bunch up? Should I use a little bigger seam (3/8th maybe) to prevent any seams from fraying, without batting and quilting I worry about the seams raveling more and having more stress on them. I want the quilt to be washable and well loved. It will be a lap quilt about 50" x 60" or a little larger (depending on how much fabric I have).
Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

If you don't want to quilt it, I think that you are going to at least want to tie it. The minkee and the top are going to constantly be shifting.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

yes, it still needs to be quilted- to hold the 2 layers together- otherwise when it is laundered it will become all wonky- out of shape. I would not increase my seam width on the cotton squares. they should be just fine when layered with the minky.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Maybe sew-quilt 1" around the borders and tie the rest
Old 03-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks. I knew I would find answers here. This is my first non-rag quilt and first time using minky, so thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I sewed Minky once to make some simple billow cover to hold egg crate foam for a friend who is permanently in a wheelchair. I worked for hours and the fabric kept shifting on me constantly. I would NEVER want to touch the stuff again. If you want to back the quilt and you are going to use a DSM, I would stitch from the back and keep the Minky right side up otherwise it will shift on you. Good Luck !!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM

You can also lightly spray the minky and cotton pieced top together to minimize the shifting. I use minky for backing on the LA, sometimes using batting and sometimes not.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I sewed Minky once to make some simple billow cover to hold egg crate foam for a friend who is permanently in a wheelchair. I worked for hours and the fabric kept shifting on me constantly. I would NEVER want to touch the stuff again. If you want to back the quilt and you are going to use a DSM, I would stitch from the back and keep the Minky right side up otherwise it will shift on you. Good Luck !!
Thanks for the info. Have you ever used fleece? That is my second choice.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 PM

I did a baby quilt this fall with a pieced top and minkee back. One thing I did before quilting was use 505 basting spray and then a few safety pins before I started quilting. Turned out beautifully and according to the Mom and baby I gave it to says it washes like a dream, but dry on cool.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by grammysharon View Post
I did a baby quilt this fall with a pieced top and minkee back. One thing I did before quilting was use 505 basting spray and then a few safety pins before I started quilting. Turned out beautifully and according to the Mom and baby I gave it to says it washes like a dream, but dry on cool.
Thanks for the input. If it has to be dried on cool it may not be what I am looking for. I want something with no special washing instructions. Maybe I should be asking if it is a lot of trouble to take care of.