Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? concerning using minky for backing >

? concerning using minky for backing

? concerning using minky for backing

Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 AM

I did a small baby quilt 36" x 36", 2" white border, 2" squares thirties reproduction fabrics, scrap of thermore batting (memory's not working so well this morning so I think that's what the thin polyester batting is called!) Minkee back. Quilt was tied at corners of two inch block after it was turned inside out so I didn't have to do any binding. Quilt is frequently washed, thrown in dryer with large loads of other whites and it's holding up just fine, seems to be getting more soft and cuddly each time.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 AM

I recently quilted a quilt with Minky backing on my longarm. Since it was my first time, I researched it on several longarm forums and the majority of the longarmmers said to use batting with Minky. They indicated that you get much better results. I did use batting and it was no trouble at all to quilt. I think maybe the thin cotton batting stabilized the minky.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I did a small baby quilt 36" x 36", 2" white border, 2" squares thirties reproduction fabrics, scrap of thermore batting (memory's not working so well this morning so I think that's what the thin polyester batting is called!) Minkee back. Quilt was tied at corners of two inch block after it was turned inside out so I didn't have to do any binding. Quilt is frequently washed, thrown in dryer with large loads of other whites and it's holding up just fine, seems to be getting more soft and cuddly each time.
Thanks, it is good to know it is washing and drying well. I wonder if this dry cool and iron warm (100% cotton) is partly about energy efficiency and not about the fabric.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM

Minky also sheds a lot during the sewing, so remember to clean and oil your machine before and after sewing. I've notice that it also shifts, might want to use a dual feed pressure foot.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM

I use Elmer's glue to sandwich all my quilts. This really eliminates the stretching/shifting of the minkee. Once quilted, I wash and dry it. The Elmer's goes away and the quilt is nice and soft!

You asked about fleece as well. I LOVE putting fleece on the back of my quilts. Fleece and minkee both seem to "absorb" the stitches so they are not so obvious on the back. Fleece launders real well too.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 AM

I just got my minky-backed quilt back from the LAQ and she'd recommended using W&N batting as the outcome would be better, plus the minky wouldn't shift when LAQ'ing. The quilt came out beautiful and the weight and feel are just right.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM

I just quilted a 60" x 90" quilt with minky backing with no problem. I sprayed it with quilting basting spray and safety pinned it and did 2 styles of free motion quilting, it came out great. I also washed it and dried it with normal settings.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Whenever I use Minkee I iron on a light interfacing to the back. This help with stretching, and shifting. It does take a little time to iron on the interfacing, but I feel it is well worth it.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 PM

I made my mil a lap quilt backed with Minkee for her birthday last year. I did not use batting, stitched it right sides together then turned it out and stitched about 1/2 inch in from the edge.

I had applique flowers on the top and sewed vintage buttons to the centre of the flowers anchoring the whole quilt together.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 PM

I've made several lap quilts using minky. The ones I've made used 10" blocks of minky with a solid piece of cotton fabric for the reverse side. Whenever I find a beautiful piece of fabric that needs to be kept whole, this kind of quilt works out great. Other than the disgusting fuzz everywhere, just be sure that you don't stitch the stretchy sides of the blocks together. When I cut the minky blocks, I put a safety pin on the two stretchy sides. When piecing together, I know that I can't have my safety pins matching up.

I didn't use any batting at all and merely did a SITD quilting to hold the two layers together. Add binding and your done.