Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice? >
  • A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

• A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Machine quilting a hand pieced quilt does not ruin it. If thoughtfully executed it can enhance it just as much as hand quilting. Here is an example.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t244193.html

Honestly we hand quilt machine pieced quilts all the time why would anyone think that machine quilting a hand pieced (or hand appliqued) quilt could possibly ruin it?

If you plan on loading this quilt on any kind of rack, be prepared, it may be out of square. Inspect seams carefully for signs of weakness. Agree on a price before stitch one is taken.
    Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 AM

Do everyone a favor and have a sit down conversation with the owner on everything beforehand and get it all in writing with signature. It may sound harsh, but some people don't understand or remember what they agreed upon. If you are charging for your services, require a non-refundable deposit of 50%....when someone has put down a deposit, they are more likely to finish paying. This all comes from experience, not greed. Most recently my daughter took an order for me to make a purse for her babysitter without a deposit.....finished the bag and no money.....daughter paid for it, took it out of babysitters earnings, learned a hard lesson. Everyone (well most everyone) loves handmade things, but very few understand the cost or time required to make them.
    Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 AM
    Power Poster

You NEVER wash a quilt top alone. You will have a mess. Quilt one of the tops up and after you finish the binding, then you can wash it. Talk to them about any concerns you may have. Did they provide you with any batting or backing fabric??
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:28 AM

Feline fanatic-that is spectacular! I don't have mad skills like that! I usually have to outline or quilt by the piece or something.

I need to make some small sammiches and practice for a long time.
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 AM

If there is any little bit that you can trim off for a fiber test (whilst squaring up the quilt top, perhaps), do that! You need to burn it for a fiber test, but a little bit will do. I suggest splitting into 2 samples because it can be a little confusing the first time. Here's a link about how to analyze the results: http://ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

I took on a customer project once & the fabric was not nearly as old as she claimed (she said it was from the 40's & in perfect condition ... it was actually from the late 60's, early 70's & riddled with holes and thread bear areas; it was very,very fragile & had to be backed with muslin). On top of that, it had polyester in it, so using WonderUnder to back it with muslin was a nightmare. It took me nearly 8 hours just to prep & back the fabric to stabilize it enough to be used as the top. I had suggested stabilizing it, but assumed it was cotton at the time (remember that she said it was from the 40's & that was all that was used in that decade).

I did wash it & it came out fine in the hand wash cycle of my machine. I line dried it.

Also, I would suggest using a pressing cloth when ironing it. Any white kitchen towel or extra fabric will work fine if you don't have an actual pressing cloth. You will very likely need to block it (another reason why the fiber test is important). You can steam block it if it's cotton. If it's not 100% cotton, I wouldn't work with it, but I guess you could spritz it with water to block it, just be very gentle because cotton & poly separate over time and you don't want to damage the fabric further by tugging at it.

Once you've got it blocked & layered, it should quilt roughly like a normal quilt. Often older fabrics are a looser weave, but the quilting part is the same. The thread just might sit on top of the fabric a bit more than usual at a 50wt. I didn't try a 40wt because the customer wanted it 'almost invisible' and I thought a 50wt would do that the best. Wonder if a 40wt would have sunk in more due to the looser weave... then again, it could've been the poly that reacted that way.

As long as you pick a 100% cotton top, you should be okay. The only other thing I'd mention is that the assisted living place is likely to toss it in the wash with all the rest of the linens. You need to put her name on the quilt (maybe get it embroidered on the front & then add it to the label on the back) and you also need to consider whether it will be able to hold up at the end of the day to improper washing. I would definitely quilt it 1-2" apart for that reason. Be sure to pick a quilt top that will not be "ruined" by that much quilting. I would also pick a quilt with the densest weave (typically they can be identified by the smoothest touch, but sometimes chemicals can temporarily make it smoother).

Look at the whole quilt top very closely. Check the seams. Make sure there are no areas that are thread bare or have holes. Check for uneven fading. Avoid any quilts that are older but didn't fade like the rest of them (that almost certainly means they have synthetic fibers). Make sure the thread hasn't snapped or started to fray (cotton thread typically has a life of about 20 years which is why even very-well-cared-for antique quilts need restoration from time to time.

And at the end of the day, plan to take 3x the amount of time you thought it should take, but remember it is a labor of love, a gift for a precious woman who was a blessing to you & your family.
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 AM

No materials have been provided. I figure when they come to Dresitown we can discuss it and maybe wander on down to Hancock's.

I wasn't planning on charging anything for it because they have been such great friends for decades.

I am doing this as a gift for great friends.

The mom doesn't live in a large facility-it's a home so I don't believe theft will be a problem.

And again if it looks like these things will be too fragile I'm not going to do it.

I'm kind of excited to see what they look like. There are three sisters dividing them. One of the sisters doesn't want any of them(gasp! Can you believe it?)so about forty of them will be split between the other two sisters.

I guess none of them are sewers. Our friend has an old DSM and she hasn't used it for years and doesn't even know if it will run. I told her I'd look at that too.

She knows enough to understand the work and time this kind of thing involves but she definitely wouldn't be doing anything like this herself.

I can't imagine not sewing. But different strokes...
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

The only advice I had is way too late for you now - - -

Your heart is in the right place to do this - I hope the project goes well for you.

All the other advice given above is worth considering - especially Bree123's.
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM
    Power Poster

And make notes and attach to the quilt top.
    Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    I certainly would not wash the top before quilting/binding it. I would first ask to see the tops to see what kind of shape they were in. If you think you can work with them, sit down with your friend and describe how you would complete it (quilting, backing and binding). If she is happy with your plan, I say go ahead since she has been good to you and yours over the years. If you do it, and if you feel the top may be fragile, just soak it in the sink with Woolite and air dry after you are done so it will be clean and fresh for the Mom.
    Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Machine quilting a hand pieced quilt does not ruin it. If thoughtfully executed it can enhance it just as much as hand quilting. Here is an example.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t244193.html

Honestly we hand quilt machine pieced quilts all the time why would anyone think that machine quilting a hand pieced (or hand appliqued) quilt could possibly ruin it?

If you plan on loading this quilt on any kind of rack, be prepared, it may be out of square. Inspect seams carefully for signs of weakness. Agree on a price before stitch one is taken.
    Originally Posted by Bree123
    If there is any little bit that you can trim off for a fiber test (whilst squaring up the quilt top, perhaps), do that! You need to burn it for a fiber test, but a little bit will do. I suggest splitting into 2 samples because it can be a little confusing the first time. Here's a link about how to analyze the results: http://ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

I took on a customer project once & the fabric was not nearly as old as she claimed (she said it was from the 40's & in perfect condition ... it was actually from the late 60's, early 70's & riddled with holes and thread bear areas; it was very,very fragile & had to be backed with muslin). On top of that, it had polyester in it, so using WonderUnder to back it with muslin was a nightmare. It took me nearly 8 hours just to prep & back the fabric to stabilize it enough to be used as the top. I had suggested stabilizing it, but assumed it was cotton at the time (remember that she said it was from the 40's & that was all that was used in that decade).

I did wash it & it came out fine in the hand wash cycle of my machine. I line dried it.

Also, I would suggest using a pressing cloth when ironing it. Any white kitchen towel or extra fabric will work fine if you don't have an actual pressing cloth. You will very likely need to block it (another reason why the fiber test is important). You can steam block it if it's cotton. If it's not 100% cotton, I wouldn't work with it, but I guess you could spritz it with water to block it, just be very gentle because cotton & poly separate over time and you don't want to damage the fabric further by tugging at it.

Once you've got it blocked & layered, it should quilt roughly like a normal quilt. Often older fabrics are a looser weave, but the quilting part is the same. The thread just might sit on top of the fabric a bit more than usual at a 50wt. I didn't try a 40wt because the customer wanted it 'almost invisible' and I thought a 50wt would do that the best. Wonder if a 40wt would have sunk in more due to the looser weave... then again, it could've been the poly that reacted that way.

As long as you pick a 100% cotton top, you should be okay. The only other thing I'd mention is that the assisted living place is likely to toss it in the wash with all the rest of the linens. You need to put her name on the quilt (maybe get it embroidered on the front & then add it to the label on the back) and you also need to consider whether it will be able to hold up at the end of the day to improper washing. I would definitely quilt it 1-2" apart for that reason. Be sure to pick a quilt top that will not be "ruined" by that much quilting. I would also pick a quilt with the densest weave (typically they can be identified by the smoothest touch, but sometimes chemicals can temporarily make it smoother).

Look at the whole quilt top very closely. Check the seams. Make sure there are no areas that are thread bare or have holes. Check for uneven fading. Avoid any quilts that are older but didn't fade like the rest of them (that almost certainly means they have synthetic fibers). Make sure the thread hasn't snapped or started to fray (cotton thread typically has a life of about 20 years which is why even very-well-cared-for antique quilts need restoration from time to time.

And at the end of the day, plan to take 3x the amount of time you thought it should take, but remember it is a labor of love, a gift for a precious woman who was a blessing to you & your family.
    Thank you so much for your advice.

That's exactly what I was looking for-possible problems I might encounter.

I think the hardest part will be making the sandwich because I'm a QAYG girl.

I'm planning on watching lots of tutorials and practicing a lot before I even get started.
    Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 AM

My mother (90) and my friend (87) both shout TOO HEAVY when under a quilt, even the lightest twin.

Bedding at nursing homes and private care group homes must be facility washed as do all their linens. They use a ton of bleach, by law. If it were a temporary recovery stay it would be different. Perhaps just folded across the bottom of the bed?

I hope they are heirlooms, but it is possible the piecing isn't well done, don't commit until you have the top you'd be willing to do, pressed and laid out.

If they are quite wonky you could offer to disassemble one and make a wall quilt for mom. Even dissassembly often takes a couple of weeks, I've done it. A heart warming job for the daughter perhaps?

Beyond that, yours is a very generous offer, give the quilt back to the family to enjoy or/and treasure.
    I

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 09-06-2015 at 08:16 AM.