Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice? >
  • A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

• A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM

I agree with Shelbie. I make fidget mats for alzheimer's people in our local county home. About the size of a large place mat. Toweling, Minky, fuzzy fleece and maybe ribbons and lace sewn in the seams. Use either squares or wide strips and perhaps flannel for the back. Simple quilting and machine sewn binding with maybe some ribbons sewn in the binding. No rules but she may like that.
    Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    After having my mother living in an assisted living place, I would not recommend finishing a vintage quilt to send there. Sometimes in spite of labels "things go missing". Industrial washers and dryers are not kind. If you want to make your aunt a quilt, make a quick easy one (just pretty squares would work) that will be attractive but will not cause heartache if something happens to it. Save the finished vintage quilts for family members who will appreciate and take care of them.
    I agree. When my mom was in a nursing home, they ruined everything in the washers. I took all her better clothes home and just brought them when she needed them (not often) and then took them back to wash. They ruined all her sweatshirts and pants. I didn't take any quilts to her (she wasn't that interested anyway). I just bought a couple synthetic throws in bright colors and she loved them. They were pretty much indestructible so it worked out well.
    Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Forty quilt tops! What a treasure trove. I hope you will post some photos when you get them. If the family isn't into quilts, I wonder if the maker would like them donated to guilds, etc., so they can be finished.
    Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    Forty quilt tops! What a treasure trove. I hope you will post some photos when you get them. If the family isn't into quilts, I wonder if the maker would like them donated to guilds, etc., so they can be finished.
    I should post pix.

I thought about asking if they would like to donate some.

I wonder if our local guild would be interested?

I'm not a member but it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway I bet.

I can't wait to see them!
    Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 AM
    Power Poster

I would suggest that you air them out and then take a closer look. Check the seams and make sure they are not going to come apart after quilt completion. If there are seam issues, I would fix them.

One thing I can warn you against from personal experience: DO NOT WASH THE TOP!!!!! I have an old top from my MIL's grandmother and it was nasty from storage. I washed it (you should have seen the color of the water) and I was ever so careful. Now I have a total mess on the back side with thread nests and frilly seams. It will take A LONG time to press that into submission. Wish I had worked through the mess.

You could also tie the quilt, which might suit the original designs.
    Old 09-07-2015, 04:09 AM

DON'T WASH THEM. Ask me how I know.
    Old 09-07-2015, 04:55 AM

My late sister-in-law spent years in an Alz. unit. I made her a purple fleece throw and it immediately disappeared. My niece simply walked down the halls and found the purple throw on someone else's bed. She took it, washed it, and left it in the car for transporting her mom to the Dr. after that. Don't take anything of value to such a place. And, clearly label in large letters, the name of the owner. Unfortunately, some of the help fall in love with quilts, etc., and they disappear also. Just be mindful.
    Old 09-07-2015, 05:00 AM

Several years ago I completed for a friend several quilts that were completed in the 1940-1950s. Several places the thread was bad and the seams pulled apart. So be sure not only to check the material, check all the seams, especially if they were hand pieced. I would also recommend that the quilts not be sent to the nursing home. Things do go missing. Maybe take a quilt when she goes visit and let her aunt enjoy while they are there.
    Old 09-07-2015, 06:16 AM

OK, I am the one who is going to say it. First you are a lovely person to agree to this. Second, the daughters were so close to their Mother, they did not know she quilted. Third, I personally would not put a lot of detailed work into the finished product. The Mother has Alzheimer's (yes she may like a pretty) she may not know it is one of her quilts. Those that care for her may have no idea how to care for the quilt. And sad to say, after the Mother has gone, everything may just be dumped. Remember the kids did not know their Mother quilted.

My Mother preferred a doll she could love on and talk to. Given all that, let your conscience be your guide.
    Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 AM

It seems like the family wasn't that involved in the mom's quilting, the dear lady is 90 years old, I would think they would like a quilt for her comfort sooner rather than later, unless the tops are falling apart I would go ahead and finish one.