Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice? >

A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Default A friend of the family might want me to quilt something-advice?

This lady has been very good to me and my family over the years.

Her mom has Alzheimer's and is in an assisted living place. She's a real sweet lady.

Anyway, they were going through her stuff and found a bunch of quilt tops and I offered to do one or two so they can give her one.

I've never done anything like this before and I'm a bit nervous about it.

I'm thinking maybe I should test the fabric(they're old)somehow.

Do I dare wash it?

Anybody ever done this?

Any advice?

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 PM

I don't think you want to wash a top. Think of the fraying!!

I would suggest talking over potential issues with the woman whose mother made the quilt tops, just so everyone is on the same page.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:01 PM

I wouldn't wash it either. I would have the lady know exactly what needed done and have her involved in stuff...like selecting the backing, deciding how to quilt it, etc. That way no one is disappointed. Have her involved...

Dina
Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 PM

I certainly would not wash the top before quilting/binding it. I would first ask to see the tops to see what kind of shape they were in. If you think you can work with them, sit down with your friend and describe how you would complete it (quilting, backing and binding). If she is happy with your plan, I say go ahead since she has been good to you and yours over the years. If you do it, and if you feel the top may be fragile, just soak it in the sink with Woolite and air dry after you are done so it will be clean and fresh for the Mom.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM

I haven't seen them yet so I don't know what condition they're in. If they're too fragile I'm not going to do it.

I am hoping they were stored well enough that a mild washing wouldn't hurt when the project is done.

She and her husband are probably coming to town soon and I'll know more then.

I'll definitely ask her what she wants but she likes my work so she'll probably just turn me loose on it.

More than anything, I am interested in potential problems I might encounter.

The oldest top I've done was around ten years old.

These are probably at least fifty years old because mom is in her 90's and her daughter had no clue about these quilt tops.

Weird. Seems like something a person would know, right?

If I recall correctly, they might even all be hand pieced so maybe should be hand quilted to maintain consistency.

We'll see.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:28 PM

You definitely want to find out what she wants in the way of quilting and backing. A friend of mine has her aunt's quilt tops and she said she wants to hand quilt them since they are hand pieced. She has been saying that for over 10 years. When I suggested she have someone quilt them for her, she said they would do it by machine and that would destroy the tops. So you need to know what she wants and decide if you can do it, otherwise she may be very upset.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11 PM

We discussed it briefly before and I told her I usually machine quilt.

But if they are hand pieced I will probably quilt them by hand to maintain consistency.

Machine quilting would probably look funny on something pieced by hand.

I'll definitely be asking for her input on that though and also on backing, borders, batting and binding.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 AM

Our quilt group was given a bunch of squares from someone's estate. Butterflies were appliquéd by hand on squares. The material used for the squares was very cheap feeling and looking. As a group, we decided to hand wash the squares, very gently, then remove the butterflies and re appliqué them on better material. They then will be put into a quilt and raffled off for the benefit of the church where our meetings are held.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:39 AM

After having my mother living in an assisted living place, I would not recommend finishing a vintage quilt to send there. Sometimes in spite of labels "things go missing". Industrial washers and dryers are not kind. If you want to make your aunt a quilt, make a quick easy one (just pretty squares would work) that will be attractive but will not cause heartache if something happens to it. Save the finished vintage quilts for family members who will appreciate and take care of them.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:41 AM

As the recipient of a friend's mom's 5 UFO's. Don't wash them and don't promise when they will be done. People think they can be finished in a couple of hours. Use the batting you prefer. Two of mine came with a thick polyester, I managed one but am turning them over to a longarmer since it is a queen size. She was happy to pay for it to get them completed. I tackled mine by doing the most completed one first.