Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion marking pens >

Frixion marking pens

Frixion marking pens

Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Buy a product that was actually designed for marking fabric.

i agree and even the mfgr states not made for fabric...designed for paper.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 PM

I have never used them. No real reason - I just have other marking pens and pencils.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Ive used them and lost tops with no problems. It sounds as if you had a bad batch.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 AM

I have only used them on pieces that will be cut...like marking HST's.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 AM

I use them but with care. I haven't had any that don't work however I have had certain colors leave shadow lines on certain fabrics. The shadow lines were almost like the ink had bleached out some of the color when ironed.

I like using them to mark seams and such and for general writing in my sewing area in case some actually gets on the fabric in the process I know I can get it off. I never use them to mark a quilt top for quilting based on my experience of the shadow lines
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Heat makes the ink disappear - heating the pen would make it work worse, not better.
Heating may make it disappear, but maybe that will get the ink flowing again. Then you can put it in the freezer and you will be able to see it again.
And maybe they are just old. I would do as others have suggested and take them back to the store or contact the company.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

They are helpful as many non sewing related items are in our quilting.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:26 AM

I use them constantly. If they don't write like they should return them where you bought them and get a new package. I use them all over fabric and paper. I never put the caps back on them. I love, love them. sometimes I write all over my patterns with them to mark my place or other things in case I put my project in the UFO pile. When I finish the project I run my iron over the pattern and remove all of my marks.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:07 AM

I do a lot of hand quilting and have always been leery of these pens as they come back with cold. I live where it gets really cold. Plus they were not made for material? I have used Roxanne chalk pencils for years and have even had problems with the silver one not coming out completely. Have tried all kinds of quilt marking pencils, and have trouble with everyone including using just a pencil lightly. There always seems to be a trace. Then I heard of people using crayola wash out markers. So I got a Pack. (ultimate washout). Took the darkest color in there and wrote all over several different light fabrics. Then I even ironed it, added steam as a lot of times I have to repress as I'm quilting. They washed out of every single piece of fabric I tried it on! Even used hot water as that is what I use for first time washing. They did say do not get the knock off brand, get Crayola, and they even come in a fine line to get into the stencil lines. I'm sold on them!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 AM

I loved them, but stopped using them due to returning marks. There was an article that stated the marks return when cold, so I marked several fabrics, ironed the marks away and put them in the freezer.

The marks returned as clear as ever. I washed the swatches twice and returned them to the freezer. The marks were fainter, but still there.

My friend said, "Who is going to freeze a quilt?", but if left in the attic or car during the winter (Ohio) I wouldn't take a chance.

I'm waiting for a product that will be so easy to use, but be very safe. No more Frixion for me.