Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING FRIXION PENS

I received the following on the Carol Doak Yahoo Group:

My fellow teacher Charlotte Anderson shared this bit of info and I know this pen was discussed previously and recently on the cruise.
    < So I went in search of these pens, which you can get a Staples. I bought the pack that has three colors in it - black, red and blue. Being quite the skeptic about things that are too good to be true, I read the back of the package. In small print it says: "Do not expose to extreme temperatures (<14degrees F;> 140 degrees F). If pen is exposed to temperature that reaches 140 degrees F the ink will be colorless when writing. To restore color, cool to at least 14 degrees F and the ink will again write in color."
    Aha! I said to myself. If you iron the ink it's going to be way over 140 degrees so it's going to disappear. So I took some fabric and scribbled on it with all three colors. Then I ironed it and, sure enough, all the scribbles disappeared. But then I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and all the lines reappeared. I left it for about a week and a half while I went travelling and today I tried to wash the ink out. It didn't come out with soap and hard scrubbing and not even after I put rubbing alchohol on it. So then I ironed the piece dry and all the lines disappeared and then it went back to the freezer and all the lines reappeared (perhaps just a bit fainter).
    This experiment was enough to persuade me that these pens are too good to be true and even sort of creepy - the ink is always there even if you can't see it. I wouldn't use them on any fabric or quilt you really cared about.

If I had a blog I would have put this on there but since I don't any of you who want to pass on what I've written can feel free to copy and paste this post

Charlotte>>

Thanks for the tip!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I never heard of this pen. I guess if you were a spy then this pen might be something you would need. Ha!

Thanks for posting this. I'll admit I was tempted to try them. Not anymore!

Janet

These pens have been discussed in several threads on the board since they showed up in Houston....with mixed feelings and testing results. I'll stick with my Sewline pencil.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85996-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87043-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-94217-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93330-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland
    Thanks for posting this. I'll admit I was tempted to try them. Not anymore!

Janet
    Me too :thumbup:

Thanks for the info , Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I never heard of this pen. I guess if you were a spy then this pen might be something you would need. Ha!
    :lol:

Banned
    I haven't heard of these pens before this, but I appreciate the heads-up so I don't purchase them in the future.

So if I DON'T put my quilt in the freezer, and don't put them outside when it's 14* will the ink stay disappeared?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsM
    Thanks for the tip!
    :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    So if I DON'T put my quilt in the freezer, and don't put them outside when it's 14* will the ink stay disappeared?
    And you don't ship them anywhere that requires air travel. I think it gets pretty cold in the cargo hold.

Janet

thanks for the warning!

Thanks for taking the time to test this out. I will remember your tip.

Blog Entries
    Does the ink show up if you do not put object in the freezer? Is normal room temperature enough to bring it back up?

I love these pens. They make the nicest and thinest lines. Why would I put my quilt in the freezer after it is made???

Thank you for the warning. There are so many out there it is hard to really find the right one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up. Won't try that. Have enough trouble without asking for more.

I'll steer clear---Thank You!

I saw this used this week on the Fons and Porter TV show. quilt show. Thank you for that information.

The ink's color does not come back unless it is subjected to temperatures below 14F. There is one thing that I would warn you about, not all of the colors work well. Some of the colors will be visible, although very faint, after ironing. White fabric, being the hardest to hide something on, was what I used to test the three Frixion pens I bought. The colors in my set are purple, orange and pink. The purple vanishes very well. The orange leaves some trace color and the pink functioned the worst. The pink was still 'noticeable' after heating.

They all come back if they are taken down below 14F, as they should. Reheating results in the same outcome as above.

Where do you get your sewline pencils?

I am thinking this would be fun to use at Christmas time for a gift to a child. Of course would depend on how cold it has to be to bring the color back to the project. But wouldn't it be fun to make a cloth gift bag for a child or maybe even an adult and when they took it outside to go home it would get cold and a secret message would appear. From sound of this it should stay until it was heated by an iron. Does this sound craby? I did nto sleeplong last night so could just be tired.

I just read where it has to be 14 F, so I guess you would have to tell the person to put the object in the freezer when they got home.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information. Glad I red it because today I was going shopping for one. You saved me time and money.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast