Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frixion pens >

frixion pens

frixion pens

Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 AM

Default frixion pens

I have always used frixion pens to mark. I am using a dark blue fabric (solid) and I mark a corner of it so I would know which is the right side. When I ironed the mark it did not entirely come out. Now I have a white mark on the fabric. Has this happened to anyone and if so what is the solution to getting mark out.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Yes the Frixion pens can leave a ghost mark on dark fabric. My experience is it does not come out. I only use Frixion pens in my seam allowances for small sewing projects. If you put Frixion pens in the QB search box there are several posts about them.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 AM

I am amazed that these pens are still being used on fabric when the mfgr has stated they are not designed for it....the comments here certainly convinced me to stay away. I don't really mark much but when I do I use white chalk, just brushes off......no ghosts later!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

The manufacturer has to say that because the pens were not tested for fabric and won't be from them. I use the pens and don't worry about it. Sometimes it's the only pen that will do the job I need it to do. This is why there are so many different products, not everyone will like the same type.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-25-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 AM

I use them all the time - once in a while I will get that "ghost" mark, but it just gets lost in the quilt by the time it's done. For the type of projects that I do, it really doesn't matter most of the time. If it does, then just test it first.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 AM

I stopped using them for fabric, I don't trust them. Who knows what the chemicals in the ink are doing to the fabric long-term? I also draw my lines too fast and the friction on the fabric immediately erases my lines! I use the blue water-erase pens most of the time, or if it's something that's going to need to be pressed before the lines are removed I use old fashioned Tailor's chalk.

I do still like Frixion pens - I use them at work to take notes at meetings. I like that I can erase the ink - it gives me an opportunity to sigh and look at someone over my glasses before dramatically erasing whatever they said when someone changes their mind in the middle of a project, LOL.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Good old soap works also. I have other marking pens and chalk, etc. Still use soap...it also give the fabric a nice aroma.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I have never tried them because I have read problems with these pens. There is powder white chalk that I have used for decades that works great on dark fabric and removes easily. Just DON'T USE THE COLOR POWERED CHALK!!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
I have always used frixion pens to mark. I am using a dark blue fabric (solid) and I mark a corner of it so I would know which is the right side. When I ironed the mark it did not entirely come out. Now I have a white mark on the fabric. Has this happened to anyone and if so what is the solution to getting mark out.
Frixion has stated more than once that these pens are not made for fabric. Even though they work very well. I have heard that there is more problems with it showing back up in dark fabric than the lighter fabric. Good luck