Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frozen! Can't seem to start... >

Frozen! Can't seem to start...

Frozen! Can't seem to start...

Old 10-06-2016, 10:03 AM

Default Frozen! Can't seem to start...

Has this happened to you? And, what did you do about it?

I have a new project (A wall hanging) that I've been pretty excited about. Bought all the fabrics and fuseable, the backing, the thread, just about everything...But I just can't bring my self to START.

This will be a variation on a stained glass window design and will have lots of pieces and I just can't seem to find a good place to begin.

Any tips for someone feeling daunted by the project before them?

Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew?

Watson
Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM

When I feel like this I go to youtube and watch quilting how to videos. Watching a few of those help me begin to feel "I can do this!" and I'm off and running. It doesn't matter what type of how to's I watch. That seems to help me get over that hurdle.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I think I would put that spectacular project aside and just do some "no-brainer" sewing for a bit - like making 9-patches - although from what I've seen of your work, that might seem to be a punishment for you instead of relaxation.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes get 'analysis paralysis'. Maybe I should use this fabric instead of that. Maybe a pieced sashing. Maybe draft a PP version of the block. I obsess and never seem to start. What I've found is if I just start cutting one of the fabrics (usually my least favorite) , then everything starts rolling along. For some reason it breaks the log jam for me.
Just grab a fabric & start cutting. Maybe the one with the fewest number of pieces?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 AM

I always find when I can't seem to get started is because I don't have a plan what I want it to look like. So go back to your thought when you first bought the material. Look online for ideas and make a plan, it will excite you again to get it done.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM

when i get like that i clean my sewing room a little bit clear off my tables fold and stack my stash i have laying around i don't do a lot just enough so it looks neat then i put the project out on my nice clean uncluttered table and glance over the project i don't do anything else LOL! I walk away let it there and pretty much when i walk in my sewing room the next day i'm ready to start, I don't have the backround clutter to overwhelm me. But thats just me . your project will be done before you know once you do start i love stain glass i'm sure it will be beautiful

Last edited by mandyrose; 10-06-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Take it a step at a time. Prepare all your pieces and dry fit them into the design(dry fit- term for laying out regular tile patterns before laying in adhesive)
Old 10-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I never look at a project as a whole thing. Break it down into steps. List what needs to be done first , second, third, etc.

Most patterns have some sort of organized system and you can expand on it. For example I love Pam Bonos' patterns but they can be hard to follow with many small and odd shaped pieces. Each part of a quilt as parts or sections and breaking them down into units makes each task simpler.

Wish I knew what pattern you are challenged by! It might not be as bad as you imagine.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 10-06-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Yes, I do feel that way. In fact, I have a Toni Whitney Blue Heron wall hanging kit that is making me feel that way. Lately, I try telling myself it's just for practice. Kind of like giving myself permission to make mistakes along the way. Not sure if it will help with this one!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:30 AM

I have gotten that.. I usually just set it aside. Sometimes if I work on something else that will get my mojo going for the original project.... or may be I just do nothing. Sometimes I need a break