Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frozen Screw in Juki Needle Plate >

Frozen Screw in Juki Needle Plate

Frozen Screw in Juki Needle Plate

Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Frozen Screw in Juki Needle Plate

I bought a Juki back in November...it was partially a Christmas present from the Husband so I didn't open it until December. I run a business from home so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I remember back in March after some quilting I wanted to clean the lint out under the needle plate...one screw removed easily, the second is frozen stiff. I figured it was still new and there couldn't be that much lint under there yet since I hadn't used it much so I figured I'd fiddle with it later. Well it's later...July! It is desperately in need of a cleaning and I have things I want to sew...I've noticed that I'm getting some looping and catching in the feed/bobbin area so I need to get down there and clean it out and see what's happening. That stinking screw still won't budge! I kind of suspect this machine sat in a warehouse for sometime before coming home...that's the only thing I can think would cause a practically bran new machine to have this issue.

I put WD-40 on top of the screw but it is enclosed in a housing underneath so there is no way to apply to both sides. It's been three hours and no luck. Any other suggestions? I know a lot of ppl don't like to use WD-40 on their machines...but right now I'm not as worried about that...I just want to clean and use my very expensive toy!!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Well, I had a screw frozen on an old Kenmore and went to Wal-mart and bought some PB Blaster and one drop unstuck that screw. Don't know if it was one little spot left that we hadn't pounded on or not, but worth a try. it was near the car lubes. Barny
Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 AM

Oh thanks Barny - I will check that out - if I cannot get this thing to budge with the WD-40 maybe the Husband can pick up PB Blaster on the way home. So frustrating!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 AM

Oh, by the way. I would cover everything but the screw. No telling what that stuff could do to your new machine.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Oh, by the way. I would cover everything but the screw. No telling what that stuff could do to your new machine.
Spray the stuff in a disposable cup or plastic lid and apply with a toothpick or q-tip.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. I will do that on my oldies. Thanks Crocee
Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Is it a regular flat head screw or a special wrench needed? I have used my little hammer to "set" the screwdriver into the slot on my old treadle. A gently tap seems to both jar the screw a little and allows the screwdriver to set down into the slot better for turning.
As others have mentioned, if it is a brand new machine be careful. You might need to take it in to a technician.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

The screw could have been forced to screw down when it was miss threaded. If it won't screw back in the hole may have to be retreaded using a thread tap. This is highly unlikely but a possibility.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM
IQ2

Eucalyptus oil is great for loosening frozen screws...also removing glue like labels on glassware, decals on car windows. see all uses here: http://www.greenlivingtips.com/artic...yptus-oil.html
Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 PM

I am so sorry for your troubles, can you take it in to your dealer? My first thought would have been for a drop of WD40 too. Let us know what you do to unfreeze it.