Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit & Veggie fabrics - canning jar quilts?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Those of you who have purchased fruit and vegetable fabrics (such as RJR's Farmer's Market)... did you use them for I-Spy quilts, or canning jar quilts?

And if you used them in canning jar quilts, were you literal enough in your interpretation to only use fruits and veggies that actually would be canned (which rules out lettuce and bananas) or did you just pick whatever was pretty and colorful? How many jars did you wind up with?

Blog Entries
    i wouldn't use anything that didn't fit the theme correctly, but that's just me.

What is a canning jar quilt? My sister cans so that would be a good project to do for her.

I did a jar quilt with bugs a long time ago. Personally I think you can put whatever you want into canning jars :-)

I didn't use them for canning jars or Ispys. I liked the berries, bought several types between the various companies that make them & use them in other projects like applique with scraps & some for pincushions, too.

They're also great prints for people making market bags to haul their produce from the farmer's market and/or grocery store.

I have used the veggie & fruit fabrics in jar blocks. doesn't matter to me if they are the "correct" canning fabric or not. I've also used them in pot holders.

oooh, potholders would be so cute! Great idea, lynnsim. I have heard people talking about the canning jars that only want what is actually canned...it's just personal preference, I guess.

Bought them for a canning wall hanging. had to buy 1/2 yd of each. Got quite a collection..only fruits,veg that can be canned.
    But.. I have not started that project. I sliced a 5 in strip off each one to add to my I Spy quilts.

sorry

We did one at church for one of our elders. "Canned " the appropriate fruits and veggies, designed baskets to hold potatoes, apples, tomatoes (they had stems and leaves). We also "canned" apple butter and jellies. Designed pint baskets too for any others that wouldn't look right canned.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast