Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit & Veggie fabrics - canning jar quilts?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Those of you who have purchased fruit and vegetable fabrics (such as RJR's Farmer's Market)... did you use them for I-Spy quilts, or canning jar quilts?

And if you used them in canning jar quilts, were you literal enough in your interpretation to only use fruits and veggies that actually would be canned (which rules out lettuce and bananas) or did you just pick whatever was pretty and colorful? How many jars did you wind up with?

Blog Entries
    i wouldn't use anything that didn't fit the theme correctly, but that's just me.

What is a canning jar quilt? My sister cans so that would be a good project to do for her.

I did a jar quilt with bugs a long time ago. Personally I think you can put whatever you want into canning jars :-)

I didn't use them for canning jars or Ispys. I liked the berries, bought several types between the various companies that make them & use them in other projects like applique with scraps & some for pincushions, too.

They're also great prints for people making market bags to haul their produce from the farmer's market and/or grocery store.

I have used the veggie & fruit fabrics in jar blocks. doesn't matter to me if they are the "correct" canning fabric or not. I've also used them in pot holders.

oooh, potholders would be so cute! Great idea, lynnsim. I have heard people talking about the canning jars that only want what is actually canned...it's just personal preference, I guess.

Bought them for a canning wall hanging. had to buy 1/2 yd of each. Got quite a collection..only fruits,veg that can be canned.
    But.. I have not started that project. I sliced a 5 in strip off each one to add to my I Spy quilts.

sorry

We did one at church for one of our elders. "Canned " the appropriate fruits and veggies, designed baskets to hold potatoes, apples, tomatoes (they had stems and leaves). We also "canned" apple butter and jellies. Designed pint baskets too for any others that wouldn't look right canned.

Quote Originally Posted by nonymac
    What is a canning jar quilt? My sister cans so that would be a good project to do for her.
    Are you familiar with the bug jar design? Substitute fruits and veggies and in is a canning jar quilt!
    I would stick to the ones that might be canned. Like the idea of baskets for the potatoes and onions, Numa! :-)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    My swap is currently doing an I-spy a picnic swap. Basically anything edible but I do plan on making a 'canning jar' quilt with all things canned and the left over fabrics will be put in a ispy quilt. So I guess I'm using all. But mt absolute favorites are the munchies fabs..

Blog Entries
    I have been collecting fruit and veggie fabrics to make a canning jar quilt. I will probably only use veggies/fruits that you would normally can.

I have the fabric. First I did just blocks because I wanted to get working with it. But I plan to do a jar quilt, as soon as I find appropriate fabric for the lids - I'm trying to be too literal with that. But I may 'freelance' a little with what goes in the jars, if the colors need it.

I bought fruit and veggy FQ but have not used them. I will use them for whatever I want including jars and I spy quilts. Since I have a FQ of each I will have plenty to do both. If I feel like it I will can lettuce and bananas along with tomatoes and candies. Oh also I like the idea, as mentioned in a previous post, of adding baskets to the canning quilt to display other vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Those of you who have purchased fruit and vegetable fabrics (such as RJR's Farmer's Market)... did you use them for I-Spy quilts, or canning jar quilts?

And if you used them in canning jar quilts, were you literal enough in your interpretation to only use fruits and veggies that actually would be canned (which rules out lettuce and bananas) or did you just pick whatever was pretty and colorful? How many jars did you wind up with?
    I used them in Potholders with Canning jars on them. I did the usual canned goods.

It's your quilt. Put in whatever you want. I have made 2 jar quilts and put in oranges and cucumbers. My sister's quilt happens to have only things that you put in jars, but it includes nails and screws and chocolates as well, since she has those in jars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I have the fabric. First I did just blocks because I wanted to get working with it. But I plan to do a jar quilt, as soon as I find appropriate fabric for the lids - I'm trying to be too literal with that. But I may 'freelance' a little with what goes in the jars, if the colors need it.
    We used a brassy gold that really looked like rings.

Blog Entries
    I did this with them:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82437-1.htm

My DH loves the Churn Dash block.

I used some that my friend actually grows, for patches in a garden-themed quilt for him.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-84215-1.htm

Thanks, Numa! Love your avatar!

I made a jar quilt....I love it and really don't care if some things (onions!) can be canned. I love the colors!

First time doing FMQ, too! I'm hooked!

My jar quilt
    Name:  Attachment-195237.jpe
Views: 692
Size:  84.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I bought lots of the FQ's at Quilter's Day Out. Some definitely would not be canned; however, I found an applique basket pattern on line and purchased some basket weave fabric to make baskets to include on the shelves to hold onions, bananas, and apples, etc. I wanted more of a pantry quilt rather than just canning jars.

UFO veg & fruits is in my to do pile. Like the "canning jars" idea (thanks so much) & could make the jars in pints, if i have any scraps.

my layout = attic windows, 2 different fabrics to depict baskets of fruits & veggies. right now, can not remember fabric mfg. but it is from a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Numa
    We did one at church for one of our elders. "Canned " the appropriate fruits and veggies, designed baskets to hold potatoes, apples, tomatoes (they had stems and leaves). We also "canned" apple butter and jellies. Designed pint baskets too for any others that wouldn't look right canned.
    Baskets are a good idea!!!! My DS works at a grocery store and I have tons of the fruit fabric to make him a jar quilt. i like the ideas of adding baskets, too. Thanks for telling about that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast