Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: funny how tastes change

Isn't it interesting to note how our tastes change over time. When we got married almost 28 years ago, our quilts were browns and blues. We have 1 that was made for us that is a dark rose/mauve color. Still love them, but I have found that what catches my eyes in a quilt shop and fabric stores are the bright colors. I am working on a wedding gift (hot pads, table runners, placemats), that I am doing in yellows and blues, and I realized just how pretty they are together, and I love the bright colors in them. Anyway, I just thought how it is interesting how our tastes change over time.

I remember a while ago hearing an "expert" saying SW earth tones were the new colors. Funny, I was selling quilts in blues and mauves for YEARS after that. Yellow/blue is SO pretty together.
    I have been quilting for over 30 years, I remember the brown/blue combos.

Seems browns are coming back too. I see lots of browns now, but wih pink and teals. Never liked brown to much, but with pink and teal its soft of pretty!

Its funny how they change and sometimes change back. I was on a real batiks kick and could not imagine making a quilt with anything else.
    Then I desided to make up the piles of scraps I had accumulated prior to the "batik era" ( I could not bring myself to just discard them) , now I am back on the traditional fabrics.... for who knows how long!
    So just when I think I should de- stash some of the old , I find the very reason I liked them to begin with.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My tastes change too and I find things in my stash I thought I didn't like anymore to be awesome again :D

When I first started quilting I saw and fell in love with landscape and other "art" quilts. Traditional patch-work quilts didn't do it for me, and I didn't like 'scrappy'.

Until one day I saw a Dear Jane.

Then I saw Omigosh.

Now I'm in love with scrappy traditional patch-work in teeny tiny pieces.