Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do.

My niece is expecting and we went fabric "looking" yesterday. I say "looking" because I couldn't force myself to buy but one piece that she liked. Have any of you ever made a quilt for someone whose taste is extremely different than your own? For a baby, I LOVE bright colors! LOVE them...and even bright BUSY fabrics. She likes more neutral colors, not very busy... But now I have no idea of what kind of pattern to use. I don't want a real simple pattern because I would like to do something a little harder for this special baby (not a D9P, Rail Fence, or Warm Wishes), but I feel brain dead with this. Please help me find something that would make it look as if I was really getting into this quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Is that your only fabric or are you allowed to pick out the flower colours in the fabric? You could pick out the bright green and white to do a nice gender non-specific quilt. I am thinking of one of the more modern looking patterns from Ohfransom (sp) with the zigzags. Do you like the Twister look? That would look good in the colours picked out of that fabric?

I did 2 dark purple queen size quilt for nieces for weding gifts. They both wanted dark purple. My hands were purple before I finished both. If I never use dark purple again I I would be OK. It is much easier to give away one you don't really like.

DJ
    Yes, I have made a quilt with fabric and pattern I really didn't like at first. I made it for DD and after making a few blocks I showed it to her and said that I'd do something different if she didn't like it. She loved it, and the more I worked on it, the more it "grew" on me. It really did turn out nicely. I'd go with what the recipient wants but directing her as far as lights/darks, etc.

Some appliqued owls in tone on tone of the same colors as the flowers? Maybe a branch too? I don't know. I am not a big pastel person either when it comes to kids quilts.

I happen to love colors. When I make a quilt for someone (family). I ask what colors they would like. I make the quilt. It's made out of love. I am sure she would love it.
    You could bring in a lgt yellow and white stripe, pink,blue,yellow dots. Maybe just a alternate block or a log cabin. You could also get a panel and use this fabric as your backing

Yes, my niece wanted a Gee's Bend in red, black and white for her newborn. I hated every minute of it.

Blog Entries
    I had a similar experience with my niece. I wanted to do some warm yummy baby colors but she wanted jungle monkeys ! I bought jungle monkey fabric and a piece of plain fleece, sandwiched it together and tied with bright green embroidery thread. I hated every minute I was working on it.....SHE LOVED IT. Got a real sweet thank you note from her and again she said how much she loved the blanket !!!!

Now I have another niece that would love me to make her anything of my choosing...she thinks I have great taste !!! She IS a smart girl isn't she !

I made one last year that I took the chosen fabric and made a center panel then put three solid color borders matching the color's in the center. Backed it with white with dots matching the colors I used on the front. They loved it, me not so much.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have had to do some in high contrast which was hard. BUT I was very happy with the finished product. Actually, I like that fabric and you can put the pink, green, and blue with it. I'll go find the round robin that was done in those dainty colors. Maybe you can find inspiration there.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59682-27.htm

Blog Entries
    Yikes! I would have trouble with that fabric too!

What I would do is get online with her and show her some of the modern baby quilt kits available from places such as Keepsake Quilting, etc. Maybe she would fall in love with one of those. The pastel 30's kits might appeal to her too.

I would do a pinwheel quilt and use that for the background and the backing. I would find four tone on tone pink prints, four tone on tone blue prints and four tone on tone green prints in the same shades as the flowers in that fabric to make the pinwheels with.

Maybe a story quilt that tells a mother goose tale - like Humpty Dumpty or Jack and Jill. You could really use your creativity in designing original appliques in telling the story and use a lot of your colors also, but with this fabric as background, there wouldn't be too much of either brillant or pastel colors.

I know exactly how you feel. My daughter picked what I though were weird colors for my GD's nursery. Pink and brown. I found out later these colors are all the rage. We couldn't decide on fabric so I went and bought the window valences that were part of the nursery collection she wanted. I took them apart and went and bought fabric to go with it and made a quilt. You can see it in my avatar, my granddaughter is sitting on it. It turned out really nice. Made us both happy.

Blog Entries
    I would make her choice the backing and then she can just turn it over if she doesn't care for your choice. Win Win.

Blog Entries
    If it's for someone else, I would make it the way they like it. I wouldn't put any of my own input into it unless they asked. They're the ones who are ultimately going to be using and looking at it every day.

Think of it as a challenge. Pick a couple brite fabrics to go whith the main one and then go to town. Remember it's a gift and she will love anything you do.

Blog Entries
    time to step outside your box and accept the challenge of working with something you never work with. buy the fabrics SHE liked- browse through lots of pictures, books, magazines- and try something new.
    it took me years to finally force myself to use black & white---i just could not get my mind around black in a quilt as a predominite part---now- 3 black & white quilts later i am quite comfortable with black---but that first one was a definite challenge!
    that is how we grow and learn---by trying new things- with fabrics we would never choose ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I would make her choice the backing and then she can just turn it over if she doesn't care for your choice. Win Win.
    Lose Lose. Wouldn't it just make you feel special to have somebody totally disregard your taste and put your fabric choices on the back? It would make me feel so special I'd let the dog have it or wad it up and throw it in the back of the closet. What's so hard about making something for somebody with their color choices?

churn dash, pin wheel,
    dresden plate, sampler quilt

Yesterday I was working on a quilt for my MIL and told my DH that it was hard to get into because she wanted so much black in it and I just didn't like the way it was turning out. It's really hard to put your heart into a quilt that you really don' like. He told me to get over it there are a lot of things that I don't like that other people like! Was that a HINT or what !!!????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I know exactly how you feel. My daughter picked what I though were weird colors for my GD's nursery. Pink and brown. I found out later these colors are all the rage. We couldn't decide on fabric so I went and bought the window valences that were part of the nursery collection she wanted. I took them apart and went and bought fabric to go with it and made a quilt. You can see it in my avatar, my granddaughter is sitting on it. It turned out really nice. Made us both happy.
    Cute grand daughter, cute quilt. What pattern did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Quote Originally Posted by mhansen6
    Cute grand daughter, cute quilt. What pattern did you use?
    It is called Grandma's Cottage Garden by Sweet Treasures

Take that fabric, meet your niece and go shopping together to get some more colors that SHE likes.....show HER some patterns to choose among. It's only a little quilt and the purpose is to welcome the new baby and make the mother happy.

THanks everyone for the input... Haven't been able to get to the computer until now (11:00 PM) but will go through all the responses in the morning. I am definitely planning on using this fabric that she really likes, and I liked it best of what she liked... I just can't figure out HOW to use it. No patterns jumped at me to use with this fabric. I will use what she likes because I want her to LIKE the quilt. She told me that whatever I did, she'd like it since I made it, but I want it to be something she will LOVE, not just like! The idea of a pinwheel with the different colors does sound good. I am doing a 3D pinwheel now, and it has been fun.

Again, thanks all of you! Will be able to be on the computer more in the morning and will get to read and absorb the ideas then!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast