Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Backing .... >

Fusible Backing ....

Fusible Backing ....

Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 AM

Default Fusible Backing ....

...won't come off.

I bought a different type of fusible (Pellon EZ Lite) as it was on sale, fused it to my fabric, cut out my shape and now the backing won't come off so I can fuse my shape to my project.
If I pull hard enough, the adhesive comes off with the paper.
Is it possible that this is just old and not any good anymore? Or are some fusibles different than others in how you iron them on? I just ironed this one on the same way I would do Steam a Seam Lite, which always works for me.
Did I do something wrong or should I try to return it? I still have 1 1/2 yards left.

Watson
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Try warming the fusible slightly with your iron, then pulling the paper backing off.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Some fusible require a dry iron not steam. Was there instructions included? Each different type has their own instructions. There should also be tips on removing the paper backing. You could visit the pellon website to look up the instructions and tips too. They should be able to help with ways to get the paper off.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I just looked this product up because I was not familiar with it- it says it's a pressure sensitive re adjustable fusible, so, sticky on both sides, you would remove the paper before adhering it with an iron, it sticks to your applique shape and your background then when you have it placed where you want it you press it for a permenant bond. So, it sounds like you permanently bonded it to the paper.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

So it sticks to the fabric, pull off the paper and then iron to stick it in place. A handy fusible to have on hand. Sounds like you will need to redo your pieces.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Try scratching it with a pin near the edge - it might help loosen it so that you can peel the backing away. I read on Amazon that high heat does make it adhere to the backing, so you might be able to use the rest, just fuse it at a lower setting. I would experiment with it first before trying it in another project, though. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 AM

I'll try again. Thanks

Watson
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Iron it again to get it stuck to the fabric again and then use the pin to scratch the paper and it should come off.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Try scratching it with a pin near the edge - it might help loosen it so that you can peel the backing away. I read on Amazon that high heat does make it adhere to the backing, so you might be able to use the rest, just fuse it at a lower setting. I would experiment with it first before trying it in another project, though. Good luck!
I don't get the logic in a product that allows it to adhere to fabric with high heat, when it is designed to pull away. For what possible reason would one ever want to leave the paper on this fusible stuff?

Sounds like a product design flaw to me.

If Watson made this mistake, I can only imagine how many others have, too.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 AM

If you read the instructions, you don't heat fuse the product to the applique shape. All you have to do it finger press it on, take the paper off and then place it on the quilt or garment and fuse it down. It's not a product design flaw, its an operator error flaw by not reading the instructions. It's what the car forums call "RTOM" (read the owners manual). Perhaps here we could call it "RTI"?