Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusing PUL >

Fusing PUL

Fusing PUL

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 AM

Default Fusing PUL

Have any of you worked with PUL? Any tips on fusing it to flannel? Or maybe to cotton?

An old family friend made a changing pad for me as a gift at my baby shower. It was just a piece of flannel backed with PUL. It looked like she had sewn the layers right sides together, turned them right side out, and then finished with a zig zag stitch around the outside. I copied this with a few pads of my own, except I used a straight top stitch and rounded my corners. However, the layers slipped on each other and it was a bit annoying.

So a few nights ago I decided to make more pads, but tried a different approach. I fused the flannel and PUL with wonder under webbing, then used some pre-made bias tape to finish the edges. For the bias, I stitched it on, then fused the back if it with more webbing since it was too difficult to run a needle through the fused PUL by hand.

I was just wondering if anyone had tips for fusing PUL. I have also considered seeing how fusing fleece to the PUL would work... It would give a little padding and the friction might keep the flannel from slipping. I did make one pad with a layer of batting and that seems to keep the flannel in check, but it is too thick to fold for the diaper bag.
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]442231[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20131020-041746.jpg  

Last edited by romille; 10-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I have only seen it layered and not fused. Did you manage to fuse it with the Wonderunder without melting the PUL? I wonder if ironing it will make it brittle?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:50 AM

i did not fuse -- i backed with cotton flannel. After the first wash the flannel seemed to "stick" to the other layer. Guessing quilting it a bit defeats the purpose of using waterproof material -- poking holes in it, so I didn't do that.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 AM

What is PUL ?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

PUL is a kind of plastic/rubbery coated fabric suitable for diaper outsides, bibs and changing pads etc. it feels almost like pleather but softer.
Care instructions: machine wash in warm water, hang to dry or tumble dry using medium heat, limit bleach to occasional use to avoid breakdown of PUL fabric, Do not iron! (that is why I wondered how the ironing of Wonderunder went)
However....it does say -After sewing, seal needle holes in PUL fabric by placing in clothes dryer on high heat for 20 minutes.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

The new vinyl coated fabric is much easier to work with then the PUL for me. It's great.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have only seen it layered and not fused. Did you manage to fuse it with the Wonderunder without melting the PUL? I wonder if ironing it will make it brittle?
I read a snippet on some forum where someone used an iron to fuse the PUL (just my melting I guess) to cotton, but that didn't work for me on a test piece. I only made two changing pads with the webbing to see how it works out, so far it looks like it was a success... but we will see if it holds up with washing. It does seem to hold creases when I fold it though, not sure if that is a bad sign.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The new vinyl coated fabric is much easier to work with then the PUL for me. It's great.
Do you have a link with an example of this? I haven't seen any, maybe I just don't know what to look for.