Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with stitches when sewing on Pul fabric.

Blog Entries

Need help with stitches when sewing on Pul fabric.

For those of you who have sewn the Pul fabric, I need to know how it stitched for you. I am using my Featherweight with regular poly thread and regular tension and stitch length but on the Pul, the machine will not form stitches. It isn't really even forming a stitch. What few stitches are formed are gathering the fabric. I have tried different stitch lengths and a different size needle. The stitches are perfect with I sew on regular cotton fabric so I'm totally perplexed.

I need suggestions please!!

What type of needle are you using, might be the wrong needle

Blog Entries
    I started with a Singer 90/12 Sharp and then changed to an Organ #9 Ballpoint. No difference in the way it was attempting to stitch.

I just tried the sample piece of the Pul on my new 160 Featherweight and it stitched a pretty stitch. Just don't know why my vintage FW didn't do this???

Blog Entries
    Can I ask what Pul fabric is?
    Bernie

I made diaper covers several years ago from PUL (polyurethene laminate). Some people have trouble with the shiny side sticking to the presser foot or the bed of the machine. I don't remember if this was mostly on modern machines or vintage. I do remember that some used a teflon foot and others used tissue paper on both sides of the PUL so it won't grab or slide. I didn't have a problem with PUL on my vintage Bernina 830 using Metrosene poly thread and the smallest needle I could get away with. The PUL needs to be heated in a hot dryer after sewing to seal the needle holes.
    Elizabeth

you probably need to adjust the pressure of the presser foot. that's the threaded screw/bar on the very top left of
    your FW. read your manual on how to adjust this for different fabric weights.