Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fustration with kaleidoscope >

fustration with kaleidoscope

fustration with kaleidoscope

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM

for the first time in weeks i'm feeling hopeful, Thank you for the comments, and I"ll accept more and when I get another pucker I'll post it.
Thank you thank you thank you
Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM

I've had luck with sewing the final center seam from the center out after carefully matching the center point and moving the rest of the seams out of the way so I am only sewing the two layers I want.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM

i use the galloping horse test
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

When I'm sewing something that has many seams meeting in the center I usually stop & back stitch 1/4 inch from the center on all the seams except the final one where you sew the 2 halves together. Also, I do the swirly seams except for that last one which I press open.

It will sound odd, but starch and a hammer might solve your "witches hat" in the center. Pounding seams is actually normal for clothing. Denim often has to be pounded.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

If the two edges you are sewing aren't completely straight, it will cause the pucker or bow. So before you sew the two halves together, make sure the edge to be sewn is completely straight, and trim (cautiously) if needed.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

pin, pin, pin.......you should be able to match them with the seams pressed open but must carefully align the seam with pin and then pin on both sides to make sure it doesn't shift. Just take care and I believe you will get it. Take your time. I did an entire quilt with seams pressed open and by slowing down and doing a lot of pinning it worked out
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 AM

Hi Miss Sandra.Sounds like you need a mentor.A lot of quilters watch you-tube video's.Especially Sharon Schambers.She has a bunch of video's.Has one on Y seams and glue-matching seams for perfect matches every time.She walks you thru every aspect of the dreaded Y seams.I am sure by the time you learn all she has to offer,you too will be a master quilter.She has so many tricks and tips.And refer back as you need.I watch her a lot.Over and over as I remember more as I watch more times.She'll show you how to get them flat seams.And how to do other fantastic blocks.She'll show you how the starch and glue is used,and why you absolutely need them.I think most on here watch her video's.And use her techniks.Good luck.Oh,And as far as cutting the fabric,Make a window template with 1/4 inch seam on the outer edge of a piece of cardboard,or use 2 mirrors held together to audition your fabrics.As far as cutting the fabric,if their straight seams,use a rotor cutter,or do what I do.I iron freezer paper on the back of my fabric so I can pick it up and cut it easy.Really works great.Then peel the paper off.Re-Use the paper till it loses it's stickiness.Just cut around the template next to the edge after the 1st cut.Good luck