Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting back on track . . . >

Getting back on track . . .

Getting back on track . . .

Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM

I find myself almost overwhelmed with work and things going on with my personal life and yet if I can just manage to find an extra hour somewhere then I can work on quilts and I can find a small ounce of peace.

Does anyone else have trouble squeezing in time to quilt?

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Since I don't work anymore I have lots of quilt time. I remember the days when all I had time to do was work, sleep and eat. I don't miss them at all.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I work at my 'real job' 4 days a week (since last year) and paint ceramic tiles & now mugs 2 days a week. My quilt class will be starting back up in May, so I'll be sewing on Tuesday nights for sure, and whenever else the mood strikes. :wink: I've actually been considering volunteering with a no-kill shelter, but haven't decided yet.
Someone told me once, if you really want to get things done, ask a busy woman to do it! lol
I also think that sleep is overrated....
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 PM

When I got sent back to work in february...I found that all I did was come home and sleep afterwards. I barely had time to take my dog for a walk. Now that I will be off work for 6 months due to an upcoming surgery...I may never be able to do the things I once did....due to the possibility of decreased range of motion and residual pain. I hope that you are able to get settled and squeeze some time in for your sewing again.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

I am retired, so I can pretty much quilt whenever I want...but before, I found that I had to schedule "me" time just like I scheduled every thing else :D:D:D
Old 04-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
When I got sent back to work in february...I found that all I did was come home and sleep afterwards. I barely had time to take my dog for a walk. Now that I will be off work for 6 months due to an upcoming surgery...I may never be able to do the things I once did....due to the possibility of decreased range of motion and residual pain. I hope that you are able to get settled and squeeze some time in for your sewing again.
I just want to wish you good luck on your surgery. I hope whatever it involves they offer you physical therapy afterwards to optimize your healing. Please keep us informed so we can send good wishes your way. :wink:
Old 04-03-2010, 05:36 AM

I find that at various times of the year I have trouble doing anything in my sewing room. For example, I have been on spring break this past week and have worked on several sewing projects and, hopefully, I will also do some rearranging in my sewing room today. Tomorrow I am hosting Easter (at my FILs house...it is the first anniv of my dear MILs death) so maybe tomorrow evening I will sew, as well. Then for the next 2 months there will be very little action in my sewing room. I teach kdg and this is a very busy time of year...finishing up this year and screening kids for next year. In addition, it is the time for lots of yard/garden work to get ready for summer. Other than doing my BOM each month, I will not sew much at all. Once I am on summer vacation, I will get back to it. I generally work in the yard/garden/house all morning and then sew in the afternoons when it is hot outside.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 AM

Sorry your schedule has become so hectic. Do we have trouble finding time? You bet! My MIL lives with us and has Parkinson's that has progressed to the point some days she cannot walk. My time has become quite limited even on days I don't work. Plus, she goes to bed by 8:30 and my sewing room is next to her bedroom, so late night sewing is out. I have had to schedule my quilt time into my day (usually on Thursday) and let DH take care of his mom for a while. Spring and Fall are my seasons to be outside (summer is just too hot for me) and I really have trouble then. When I get really stressed, just gotta work it in somewhere, somehow. For my own sanity (and the sanity of those around me).

DH was on the computer the other day while I was quilting on the frame. He said you look so happy when you are playing with your fabric. Well, DUH, yes I am.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 AM

ABSOLUTLEY, POSTIVELY, YES!!!!! My sis's quilt is still not done, keep changing my mind, its just not coming together! Found out the quilt I was designing for my son wasn't going to be able to be taken to college (college won't allow it - military) made me want to cry!!! Now I got a new machine just wanting to perform and EQ6 on its way. Fixed up sunroom to take over as sewing room and now waiting for EQ6 to come in.

Besides, I'm working on the house, yard and everything else for son's graduation, which my parents are coming in for and haven't ever seen my house. Plus all this college stuff and school ending!!!

So I started a BOM applique that I can do in evenings!!!
:lol: :lol:
Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 AM

I have times when I go months without touching my machine. Between a hectic job that has a lot of travel, four kids and a DH, a house and all the needs that come with it, I often find the thought of sewing to be more of a chore than an enjoyment. But I always come back eventually.

This board has been great about getting me re-energized to get back in and create. It's motivated me to move sewing higher up my priority list and ignore some other things and I'm glad.