Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting a Bad Rap >

Getting a Bad Rap

Getting a Bad Rap

Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
It's not the fabric I dislike but the customer service. There's never enough people cutting (usually one) and you literally have to take a number and wait in a long line. Then there's only 1 cashier when you're finished. I used to work there about 8 years ago and it has always been that way.
You can eliminate one of those irritations-waiting in a long line at the cutting table. Check what number they are on and what the next number is out of the machine and if it is a long wait, just grab the number and continue your shopping. I do that frequently, and if my number is called and I am not ready, I swap numbers with someone waiting with a higher number! I tend to do fabrics first, then after getting them cut, I can take my time with patterns, buttons, etc. I shop there for the good deals, they are the most convenient for me to get to, and I don't mind a bit of wait, usually chatting with other shoppers, and enjoying myself. I generally do not need assistance when I shop, preferring to just enjoy the experience on my own. I find if I start out with a pleasant and smiling attitude, even the grouchiest of sales people will soften!! I don't go if I am in a hurry, I prefer to take my time, wonder around looking, fondling fabrics, and chatting with nice people.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM

I buy fabric I like, whether it is from my LQS, Hancock's or JoAnn ETC. JoAnn has some really nice fabrics now. Their prices for the better fabric are right up there with the LQS.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MissSongbird View Post
I always hear Joanns and like fabric stores always getting a bad rap from, primarily, quilters. Why is it so?

I understand that Joanns, and such, does not always have the best quality fabric, compared to LQS, but I don’t think it is as bad as people make it out to be. I’ve heard several quilters say “real quilters” don’t shop at Joanns (and most of us know that is ridiculous!).

I don’t have much of a choice when buying my fabric. As some of you know, I’m a college student and money is always tight. I love the fabric at my LQS, but unless I really, REALLY want it, I won’t buy it, because I can’t afford it. And the thing is when I shop at Joanns I always make sure to get the nicer quality fabric. If a fabric doesn’t feel right, I won’t buy it.

(Plus I don’t think the best quilts have to be made out of the best fabric out there. The only time quality of fabric should be judged relatively harsh is when it is entered in a quilt show – and even then sometimes it isn’t the most important aspect of the quilt.)<o></o>
I agree with you on this. I'm retried, can't afford the high $$s at the LQS , I think I have bought fabric a couple of times there. I've made 100's of quilts all sizes out of Joanns fabric, most are still good, care taken with the laundry of the quilt helps in how long they last. Camp quilts for the kids were made from used jeans, those wear for ever.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM

I have found both good and poor quality fabric - no matter where you shop, feel the fabric. Buy the best quality you can find wherever you can find it. Joann's is great for non-fabric quilting things.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM

I agree--we all can't afford $10-$15/yd fabrics to make a queen or king sized quilt. The LQS shops in this area never have sales and if they give any kind of discount it is 10% which might zero out the area tax. Those JA coupons have given me the opportunity to buy fabrics I would normally have denied myself. One of the LQS shops here used to flaunt their fabrics saying they were made in America---NOT--my husband has gone around the store checking out just where they come from and most are not made in America.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM

I love taking a number as I've had people cut in front of me in the past or the cutting person will wait on someone who came after me. I have my favorites but I've found most of the clerks are very helpful. I've found out over the years which clerk I avoid as she doesn't know where anything is and I've wandered around and found them myself.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
I agree--we all can't afford $10-$15/yd fabrics to make a queen or king sized quilt. The LQS shops in this area never have sales and if they give any kind of discount it is 10% which might zero out the area tax. Those JA coupons have given me the opportunity to buy fabrics I would normally have denied myself. One of the LQS shops here used to flaunt their fabrics saying they were made in America---NOT--my husband has gone around the store checking out just where they come from and most are not made in America.
And of course you're not on the internet and can't shop at the dozens of sites that have top brand fabric for five bucks a yard or less.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM

Just remember to wash any fabrics from JoAnn in warm water with a color catcher. They are all imports and have to be fumigated on entry to the US. Could be bad for babies and the elderly
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM

I buy all my material from either Joanns or Hobby Lobby. My quilts look good.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM

I wish we had a local Joanns to go to. We used to and I loved going there because of the election they always had. I miss it.