Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a Bad Rap

You are so right! Quilting historically was made from scraps of cloth from making clothes for the family. Now, buying fabric is a status symbol. My gosh, my grandmother would have been sooo happy to walk into a Joanns or a Wal-Mart and see bolt after bolt of beautiful fabrics. Just buy what you can afford and be content with it. If someone tells you that Joann's or Wal-Mart fabric is not any good, just ignore them.

I have absolutely nothing against the fabric quality at Joann's. My issue with Joann's is this:

You get a flyer either in the mail or online. The flyer offers a coupon for whatever percentage off any single, regular priced item, excluding certain items, of course. What are the odds of finding anything to use that coupon on? In our local Vancouver WA Joann's, the answer to that question would be just about a big fat "0", because...here's the kicker...nearly EVERYTHING at Joann's is on sale ALL the TIME!

That coupon is simply a "come on" and it disgusts me to see such blatant disregard for our intelligence!

Until just before Christmas, our local store expected customers to wait in line for an hour while their one or two checkers worked their way through the line. ugh I will give them credit: since their recent remodel they seem to have more checkers on at any given time, although I've only been in there once since then.

I think the real turn off for me was when they moved the quilting fabrics to the wall shared with PetSmart and now we get to listen to dogs bark and howl while trying to choose fabrics. I'll take my business elsewhere, thank you very much.

Um...yeah, I'm grumpy. lol
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I was just telling my daughter about how Joann's used to be...and I had 5 close to home or work. Remember when the stores were more than 1/2 fabrics. And I had a Minnesota Fabrics, which was all fabrics and sewing supplies. The good old days. Now I have 2 Joann's and both have terrible customer service. The regular prices are ridiculous, and you have to watch for things to NOT be on sale so you can use a coupon. But LQS employees are frequently snobbish. (What is with that?) I have bought fabric anywhere and everywhere, and it varies everywhere. One of the worst fraying fabrics I had was a Moda from a LQS, and I've gotten fabrics at Joann's recently that were equal to good LQS fabric.

Lots of people here shop at joann's, for fabric notions, what have you. I don't know who would say a real quilter wouldn't shop at joanns. I get mostly books and notions, but have gotten some very nice fabric from them. As long as you know quality you can shop safely at any joanns and get great deals especially with sales and coupons. I got like 12yards of fabric for 60 bucks would have cost me like 150 at an LQS not that LQS fabric isn't worth it. I get cheap practice muslin, and I got some nice muslin at joanns the other day for my embroidery.
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I live in Canada so we don't have Joann's, we do have fabricland and i hear the same .
    i do get alot of good fabric from Fabricland.

Joann's and Walmart are my go to stores for fabric. I have never had any problems finding just what I need. I have shopped at the LQS, but just for fat quarters for an american themed quilt. I think the love pored into a quilt is the most important part of a great quilt. Just my opinion.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

I think everyone should shop where they find fabric that meets THEIR needs and the qp be damned.

I do with that I had given my Mamaw better fabrics. I have always sewn and I always gave her my scraps which she made into quilts - that we use! I have an Around the World that she made for my college graduation in 1990. She used fabrics I gave her. The navy with tiny white polka dots (Easter dress 1987) now looks gray. I do believe it was a Cloth World fabric. There is a green that I made maternity dress from that I thought should have worn out but is still going strong.

These quilts aren't works of art to other people but they are to my family because the generate so many stories. I think we are missing that with all of our quilt shop fabrics!

Mikes does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have issues with Jo'Anns and the coupon use. They use them to draw in the customers.. but then "game" the use, by putting items on sale , so coupons can not be used. They also seem to inflate prices , so when a sale happens , you are paying normal pricing , but feel like you got a deal... They have wired our brains to look at the "what you saved" in big bold print... rather than what you spent. This is to create the feel good impression.. when in reality the "deal" or savings was not all that wonderful.
    I wish they would price more reasonably and forget all the coupon/discount gimicks.

I love my local quilt shop, but I'm doing some animal quilts for kids right now. Little kids like the different textures of satin and fleece and flannel and suede and fake fur and minky. You just can't get those things at a LQS. Lets all stop apologizing for not sticking to someone's idea of proper fabric for a quilt. Who made those rules anyway???

sap
    I find fabric when and where, make no excuses and never tell. if asked where I got a certain fabric I just say oh I don't remember and let it drop at that. no questions answered or asked.

I have bought from chain stores, Ebay, online and not very often from quilt shops as in Australia quilt shops can cost up to $32.00 per metre. In other words I buy what I like & what I can afford. I am not a fabric snob LOL

I bought 2 charm packs from Moda and they were not the right size or even square

Blog Entries
    I agree with the Queen...I wait for sales at the LQS's I have a lot around me...so I can always find a good bargin. I find that the fabric is thicker and softer to the touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Yes, the illusion of saving. If you actually look at the prices you'll see that JoAnn's fabric is almost as much as a lot of LQS fabrics. Why would you pay just as much for lower quality? There are several discount sellers of top quality fabrics where you'll end up paying less than you would at a JoAnn's. For that matter nearly every LQS eventually puts fabrics on sale and I've bought fabric at several LQS from $1 to $3 a yard.

I like shopping at my JoAnn's - no close LQS. And I am fortunate that the staff there are knowledgeable, polite, and fun to work with! I do support LQS whenever possible but I have no problem with JoAnn's fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Buy the best quality fabric you can afford wherever you find it. I am glad I have a good stash to work from because affordable fabric is getting harder to find. Bonnie Hunter uses second hand cotton shirt fabrics for a lot of her quilts. She is the sought after quilt teacher from www.quiltville.com. She's not paying attention to the quilt police.
    The Museum of Modern Art in New York featured the Gees Bend Quilts and pronounced them masterpieces. I guarantee that the ladies creating those quilts had never entered a LQS, much less bought fabric there.

Making quilts out of "bought" fabric prior to the 50's (and even then sometimes) was unheard of except for the very rich. Feedsacks were just that, they had flour, meal, and chicken feed in them at the store. Anything that was still usable was used to make the quilts. Even the "crazy" quilt kits of satin and lace were bought as a large bundle of scraps from sewing factories.

I shop Joann's and my LQS's..... I too have to drive 35 mi to Joann's, I go with my coupon and most usually find what I'm looking for. I'm very careful and if Joann's fabric doesn't feel nice, it stays on the shelf. They do have some good fabric and have bought many yards from them. I also buy quilt books there since coupons can be used and is a nice discount.

I know Joannes gets a bad rap, with fabric and service. Some lqs have the same thing, too.

I feel the fabric and go by that. I buy from Joann's because they're convenient but their prices for fabric are getting as high at the quilt shops - $12.99 a yard and up. I love Hancock's of Paducah and watch their web sale fabrics. You can get fabric for a great price sometimes. I've worked at the local Joann's several times but the management has totally changed and I only go in if 1 certain person is there. I don't want to deal with anyone else. You have to use what is available and affordable to you. And, yes, I've bought fabric from Walmart too. Again, feel it. If it feels thin, I pass!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    I buy what I like where I like. Period. That's it. I could give a rip if something is "current" or high end or low end. I shop anywhere and rarely pay designer prices for anything. I can do more with money saved without someone else's name stitched/printed on it. Grew up wearing dresses made by my Gram or from the basement of G.C. Murphy's. Thought I'd won big time when I had a "store bought" dress. I know how to look for quality and value and to resist the come ons. I buy greeting cards...NOT from Hallmark (made in China), but from the Dollar Tree (made in USA).
    Some folks need to get off their high horses and let newbies enjoy the process of learning. How do you tell a good fabric? Hold it up to the light. If you see lots of light, it's not good for a quilt, but might work fine for a one use item (like a costume). Feel it...smooth and silky...that's great for a quilt. Buy what you can...many quilts from my early days were made from broadcloth or leftovers from my kids' clothes. Whatever you do, as a newbie, enjoy the process and ignore the "know-it-alls." Because they don't ...know it all...only you know what's good for you.
    Last edited by coopah; 01-16-2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: deleted repitition
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgm View Post
    Some of the worst fabric I ever bought came from LQS and was a well-known name brand. I just buy what I like and if it feels good. I don't allow the quilt police, I do not quilt to please them, I quilt to please me!
    Me Too!! When I started sewing/quilting, and had fun, I didn't ask anyone's permission if it was ok.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

This is the same problem that I have Management and sales people! They are very rude when asked a question. Either they are worked too hard or management trains them like that! I split my time in two different places luckly I have several Joanns to go to in the valley, but not up north only one! So I just try not to give them my business. Complain until I'm blue in the face! Nothing is ever done!

I think of it this way. When I was just learning to cook, I used that powdered Parmesan cheese from McCormick . As I got more experienced, I used better and better - and more expensive - Parmesan cheese. I can tell the difference. I'm willing to spend the money and I like it. Does the mean someone else shouldn't use the powdered stuff, or that its inedible? Of course not. Use what you want. It is just that there is better tasting, albeit higher priced, Parmesan cheese out there that will give you different results, that you can buy IF YOU WANT. Same with fabric. There are different grades and prices of fabrics. As you get more experienced, you can tell the difference, and you can decide what you want to use. And different projects may call for different quality of fabrics. But it helps to have the knowledge to make the decision. And certainly not using Joann coupons for things like rotary cutter blades or rulers or whatever is exactly the same at a quilt store seems silly, but please keep in mind - even all the fabric in Joann's is not th same quality!

I also shop at Joann's once in a while sometimes its simply a time thing or like when I lived in GA there just wasn't another fabric shop close to me. Joanns and Hobby lobby were it. I really disliked going into the Joanns there because the customer service was so horrible. The Joann's here is totally different. I am also on a very very limited income so sometimes that's it. I will say here in VA beach the one quilt shop really doesn't have the kind of fabrics I like using . And the help in there wasn't the best. I know people who love it. So I found Fabric Hut in Norfolk . Not too too far for me to go every few months since I have to save. I really wish I could pack it up and take it with me when I move.
    I think the best thing to do with fabrics is learn how fabrics "feel" . Doing that has saved me money . I may like a print but will pass it up if it doesn't "feel" right. Since I have been sewing for more years than I care to think about it comes as second nature to me now.

I am really not sure how the self appointed, self-important quilt police came into being. I, for one, buy what I can, when I can. I shop at the LQS, Hancock's, JoAnn's, and even WalMart. I've even got good fabric from Goodwill. I won't buy fabric that's of really poor quality, but have bought some "mid-grade" if I was using a small bit and it was the perfect color. My advice to you would be, listen to your heart and wallet, not the QP. Their sleuthing skills and self-satisfied advice doesn't apply to us!!!

My gripe with Joanns is not being able to use coupons since Everything is on sale. Do use them for thread sometimes because of all the sale items.
    Now I miss Joanns cause I live far away from the nearest one. Online is just not the same as seeing it all in person.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast