Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting ready to buy!! Anyone have a Nolting? >

Getting ready to buy!! Anyone have a Nolting?

Getting ready to buy!! Anyone have a Nolting?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Do attend a show that many L/A dealers are showing their machines. It makes a huge difference when you can go quickly from one machine to the other when making a decision.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by boxerlady View Post
Quiltinggrannie uses a Nolting. Her website is quilterspantry.com. She does longarmming professionally.
thanks! I'll see if I can find her.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM

I don't have a long arm but my mom does. It's a Nolting. I use it fairly often and it's a wonderful machine. Her first long arm was a different brand, one that I can't remember the name anymore but this Nolting is great. It is one of their simpler models with a stitch regulator. She went with a Nolting because the factory is near by and she gets great customer service from them. That is very important with the high end machines. I think Nolting is a good investment. Soemday, when I buy one, it will be a Nolting just because of the way they handle and the great customer service.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Depends on the dealers but some let you come in and work on a machine, not just 5 mintues but doing an entire "quilt". You can sandwich muslim and do it cheaply but still see if you like the machine
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM

I did lots of research and read lots of reviews last year before I headed to the International Quilt Festival in Houston in November. I had pretty much decided that I was going to buy either an Innova or a HandiQuilter Avante. I tried all the machines at the show. (I think they were ALL there!) Then, I came home with a Gammill. I'm sure I would have been happy with either of my first choices if I had bought without trying them all out...I just personally preferred how the Gammill "felt" when I used it. I also tried a Nolting and ruled it out pretty quick due to vibration. However, that may have just been because the machines were not properly set up at the show.

There is an HQ dealer in Shreveport and an Innova Rep in Hallsville, TX. There is a couple in Texarkana that have an Innova and love it. I contacted them before I went to Houston and they let me tryout their machine. If you want their information or would like to try my Gammill, just PM me. My Gammill dealer is Linda's Electric Quitler in McKinney, TX.

By the way, I saw your quilt at the Miller Bowie Quilt show and the pictures online do not do it justice. It was BEAUTIFUL...and much larger than it appeared in the pictures!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

I have a Gammill and I love it and the frame as well. It was well worth the money. Take a look at them too if you can.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Hi, I went to a quilt show last weekend and tried everything there - HQ, Nolting, Gammill, APQS, Tin Lizzie, Babylock, A1 and Innova. I went in with a favorite based on research and reading and came out with totally different favorites. If and when I buy, it will be either an Innova or an A1.

You really have to try them all to find the one that's right for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
QM
Power Poster

As with any major purchase, check around and test drive. My guild has a Nolting and is very happy with it. The aftermarket service is excellent.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM

I used to live close to the Nolting factory. I will agree they have truly outstanding customer service. I was trying to decide if long arm quilting was for me. They let me come in for as long as I wanted and just try out machines. I was there for almost two hours with them answering any question I had. I decided to get a mid arm sit down system instead, but I would have bought the Nolting if I had chosen a long arm.

With that said, I would agree that you should try out different machines first. You may find one you like even better.

Pam
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM

I have a Nolting Fun Quilter and love it, customer service is great. I bought it in 2006 its a real workhorse.

Wanda