Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • GFG dilemma >
  • GFG dilemma

• GFG dilemma

Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by popover
    You can simply cut the edges straight, which leaves alternating half hexes, then attach border as usual
    This is the simplest answer to your question, if you are really OVER it. I do know that feeling.
    Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM

You have several options, all depending on the work you want to do and the look you want to achieve. Quickest, birth the quilt, leaving the edge as it is. This doesn't allow for much quilting, but you can STID around the flowers without shifting the material. Or, quilt the top, then trim off the edged even and bind as usual. If feeling ambitious, quilt the top, turn the backing to form a wide 'binding' and then applique the hexies to this wide binding. And the one that I think you really don't want to do, add additional 1/2 hexies to even out the edge. ALL options are perfectly fine, whatever you want to do is the correct way.
    Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Hurray You Finished it and I know the feeling. But get ready, as "Hexies, Appliqué and Cross-Stitched" Blocks keep coming back and become all the rage. I'm totally over all of them at this point in my life. Finished my GFG about 15 yrs ago and keep it on the back of my sofa to remind myself... NEVER AGAIN. It is hand pieced and hand quilted. But I can say I've done all of the methods listed above and moved myself back into normal piecing of scrap quilts. Better yet, I'm happy with sewing quilts again and no longer "try to keep up with the latest fad" that happens along. LOL
    Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 AM

my aunt made a gfg and i quilted it for her. I wanted to make it wider to fit a bed. I cut the edges straight ('bout killed me LOL!!), but i was pleased w/ the border and one can't tell that there is almost 50 yrs between the border and the center.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571713[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 061.jpg