Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Pinning vs. Spray Basting

Hi,
    I am new to machine quilting, and am wondering if I should be using spray basting instead of pinning. I hate it when the quilt layers shift while I am quilting. For those of you that use the spray basting, do you spray all three layers? Does it wash out well?

I have used the spray basting for applique, and it does work well for that. Maybe the two should be used together? I am so interested to hear what y'all do! ~smile~
    Thank you,
    Roseanne

I thread baste with tatting thread and a herringbone stitch, as taught by Sharon Schamber in her board basting video, and there's no shifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

Lisa

I'm not a spray baster and will leave those questions to others, but yes, if you hate pinning you should definitely try another basting method! Washable white glue is another popular way to baste - I've done that one, and for a while I liked it better than the pins. There's also hand basting and basting guns, the latter is the one I'm trying next. Just thought I'd throw out some more ideas in case you're interested.

I've always pinned. Afraid to try anything else, but there are folks who swear by the spray method, and love it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

When I first started quilting I pinned and had problems with shifting fabric. I switched to spray basting (I use Sulky) and no more shifting fabric.

Blog Entries
    at our senior center quilt group [ladies that have been quilting for decades] the quilts are pinned, then basted zigzag sylte, then hand quilted... no shifting there
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

OMG yes - switch to spray basting! It is sooooooo much better than pinning. You won't believe how much faster, easier and better it is. I used to pin baste, and didn't think it was difficult or troublesome... then I was introduced to spray basting and I will never, ever go back!

I lay out the batting, and lay the backing over it. Then I fold back half of the backing fabric, and spray the batting (spray lightly - a little goes a long way!). Bring the backing forward a foot or so at a time, and smooth it onto the backing with your hands. Keep advancing it this way until the whole sprayed section is covered. Then fold back the other half of the backing and repeat.

Working from the middle out like this makes it easy to avoid pleats and wrinkles. Laying it out in advance (before spraying) makes sure it's centred and going to fit.

Once the backing is attached, I flip it over and do the same process to attach the front.

I was introduced to spray basting at my guild's charity sewing day, making quilts for preemies in the NICU. I haven't specifically tested how it washes out, but I haven't had any problems, and I assume the hospital would have told us if there were any concerns over chemical residues - they set the standards for the materials we used. We used 505 spray, and I haven't bothered trying other kinds because the 505 works so well.

Spray basting was an absolute revelation for me. I highly suggest you try it!

Edited to add: I took the Craftsy class "Small Machine, Big Quilts" with Ann Peterson, and she sprays the fabric rather than the backing. There are some good tutorials online (I like the one by the Australian lady who uses her ironing board to spray baste). Check out Youtube and you will see a few ways to do it, then pick a method that works for you.
    Last edited by Jennifer23; 04-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.

I had issues with puckers when I pin basted. Switched to spray basting (I like 505) and it works great. I put all three layers together, peal back the top halfway, spray the batting in strips (starting in the center) and smooth the top back on over the batting in sections to the outer edges. Walk around the table and repeat with the other half. Then I flip the whole thing over and do the same, peeling back the backing halfway and spraying the batting again. When done, I leave it laying flat overnight to dry, and start quilting the next day. Some folks iron the sandwich after spraying, but I have not found that necessary.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I use Elmer's school glue to hold my quilts together. I've tried spray basting, but the layers still shift. I have had absolutely no problems with using school glue - nothing shifts, it is easy to hand quilt through, and it washes out beautifully. I iron the layers together as I glue baste them so everything is dry and ready to go as soon as I finish putting the layers together. I follow the same process as Jeanne S, but use very, very thin lines of glue drizzled on from about 24 inches above the quilt.

I hand quilt, in a hoop or on the frame, so pin basting works fine for me.Good thing too. With my lungs, I don't want to spray ANYthing!
    Ageing is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been............David Bowie

I love spray basting - for me its #1. BUT it also gets expensive buying the spray. I have tried glue basting in a couple of different ways ... and today I am trying it again. Glue is much, much better than pinning, but I am still trying to find the glue process that I like best

Blog Entries
    I used Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible batting for eons. at the moment i use 505 spray. i lay my quilt layers on a table (outside) and fold the top back. spray on the batting and fold the top down patting flat as i go. when all the top is done, i flip it, smooth the backing and fold out of the way. spray on the batting again and fold backing down patting flat as i go. if i'm to man handle the quilt, i pin the edges.

Blog Entries
    I use 505 basting spray and love it. The layers really don't shift. Here is one method I've tried on a smaller quilt and it worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPed...&index=6&t=36s

On larger quilts, I might add some pins along the edges just in case.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    great video. but I can't stand the smell of the spray. It's so windy here every day it's hard to spray anything outside. I'll just stick to Sharon Shambers way.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I use 505 basting spray and love it. The layers really don't shift. Here is one method I've tried on a smaller quilt and it worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPed...&index=6&t=36s

On larger quilts, I might add some pins along the edges just in case.

I've not made a large number of quilts -- I'm just a newbie. I will say this, I am asthmatic, and the spray basting is absolutely out of the question. I'm still learning, but have had no problems with pin basting. Of course, I am generous with the pins! Whatever method you decide to use, sandwiching the quilt is the hardest part of making a quilt JMHO! I have qualms about the glue-basting -- first of all, washing a quilt (especially king size) is not something I would want to do in my domestic washing machine. The only laundromat with the giant-sized washers is clear across town (about 25 miles one-way) and those machines are very expensive to use. I am currently working on a project to make sandwiching very easy -- let's home it works!

I've only done pin basting and haven't had any problems with shifting or puckering, knock on wood! Because this works for me, I haven't tried other methods. I do use lots of pins and kind of use that time to think about how I might do the quilting. I do have a large cutting table to use for pinning which helps. It is a good height to work on and I can leave the quilt there until it's done. I'm not in a rush to finish my quilts, either. You will find a method that works for you. Lots of good advice here.

I pin if it's a small quilt, but anything larger than 40x40 inches, I spray baste and it is the absolute best! I've done queens and kings and had no issues. The example that was given above on how to do it is exactly how I do it.

I've washed them all in my machine and had no issues with the spray coming out.

You will LOVE it. Yes, it can be expensive, but shop around. I use the 505. I'm in Canada, fabricland charges an arm and a leg, Walmart had it for almost 1/2 the price!

I don't know how long it would take to pin a "throw" size quilt, but I can spray baste one in about 15 minutes, including the smoothing out part before and after spraying. Well, maybe 20 minutes.
    And I don't think my fingers would allow me to pin a quilt.
    The smell of the 505 is very very slight. I am sold on it.

I'm normally a hand quilter and pin baste most quilts. Queen/kings I tend to thread baste. I'm getting ready, though, to jump into machine quilting because I just need to get some quilts out the door. I'll probably thread baste to keep the weight down as well as not have to deal with pins while machine quilting.

Blog Entries
    I never pin. hate the squeezing and pinching and thread caught on pins. Love the spray or hand baste with boards. Will be trying glue baste on next quilt if the iron will reach.

Spray all the way for me. I would never finish a quilt if I had to hand baste or pin. I do not have allergies or anything that keeps me from using it - I don't notice much of a smell at all (but I am not a sensitive smeller)

I spray baste using Sullivan's Basting spray and it washes right out in the washer. I always wash and dry my quilts when they're completely finished. I usually purchase several cans of Sullivan's from Nancy's Notion when on sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I thread baste with tatting thread and a herringbone stitch, as taught by Sharon Schamber in her board basting video, and there's no shifting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

I just took a class with instructor Sue Heinz and she had us baste our small FMQ project using Sharon Schamber's method. I thought I would give in a go and basted my Mystery Train #16 in this manner. It makes FMQ on your DSM very easy...just clipping the basting threads along the way rather than trying to unpin with your quilting gloves on.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I used to pin baste but once I started glue basting with washable school glue (Elmer's or other brands) that's all I use for machine quilting. I have never used spray basting for quilts because I didn't want the expense, fumes or mess of the over spray. Some of my friends spray baste and wouldn't do it any other way.

There is a lot of information about glue basting if you want to explore that. Either google it or put it in the search bar on Quilting Board and you'll find a lot. It does not work well for hand quilting and you have to wash it out so for a wall hanging you might not wash then it wouldn't work their either. For those I thread baste.

I use 5o5 spray basting. It is easier than pinning, quilt parts do not shift . and it is soooooo much lighter and easier to push thru the machine. Tjis bran washes out and will hold in place for months I think there is not much odor. A small can now be gotten at Joann's with coupon for about $6.00. Well worth the money!!!!!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast