Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG quilting and binding >

GFG quilting and binding

GFG quilting and binding

Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 AM

I have a GFG that I am working on (for a year now ) I am glad you asked this question. I don't "trust" tying. If you like that look, I would probably machine quilt and then do some ties as well??
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CGail View Post
GFG - Grandmother Flower Garden, made with paper pieced one inch hexagons. I do not normally like tied quilts either. I am just trying to figure out a way that I can do it myself. One lady who looked at my quilt top suggested tying it with pearl embroidery thread in each of the sox corners which would include several hexie's whwn tying one hexie's - very time consuming, but something I could do. I just want to be sure I will be satisfied because I have worked on this top for over two years. Besides the quilting, I need to know about binding it ?
For something that took over two years I think it deserves to be quilted, however if you want to do it at home maybe a compromise and quilt larger areas in the ditch then ad ties for accents??
Old 06-02-2015, 09:18 AM
IQ2

How about just doing a diagonal grid through the centers of the hexies?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 AM

I did a gfg with 1 1/2" hexies which I finished last year. I hand quilted it using perle cotton and the big stitch method of hand quilting. Piecing the top took me several months and I quilted it in about a week. I think it looks much better than if I would have tied it, and I didn't want to machine quilt it after spending so much time piecing it by hand!

I also used the binding method shown on the badskirt blog, which means all the hexagons at the edge kept their shape. Let me see if I can get a photo of it to show how I quilted it!

So here you can see that I quilted the inside of each flower centre, then the inside of each flower(around the edge of the petals) and then also along the edge of the "path". All very simple quilting, but it truly makes me smile every time I look at it.

And the second photo shows the back, with the black hexagons used to finish the edges. I have one regret about how I did that part, as I used purple thread to attach the black hexagons (what was I thinking!?!?!) so it shows, but noone is likely to notice that apart from me!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521337[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1657.jpg  

Last edited by Sisty88; 06-02-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM

I did a 3 in. hex GFG that was all hand sewed then hand embroidered. I did the traditional 1/4 inch inside each hexie. Currently I am working on the 1 inch and have decided I am going to do the 1/4 inch outside each row of hexies. For me the hand quilting is not going to be an issue - I will use thin batting and a solid piece for backing. It goes fairly quick once you get a rhythm. Tying that many hexies would take more time to me because you are pulling a thicker thread thru the 3 layers.

Just do what you like and not worry about what others think - it is your quilt and I am sure it will be beautiful whatever you decide.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Gosh, you have all given me lots to think about. I do not think I will go w tying. I will have to decide if I try to quilt or have it LA'd. I will have to think on that, but I would still want to find out how to add the hexie's around the edges and appliqué to the back for the binding. Thank you all for the help.

Sisty88 - I think your binding is what I am asking about. How did you attach the hexie's to be folded to the back? Did you add them before or after quilting?

Last edited by CGail; 06-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

i've quilted grandmother's flower garden - but it's always been hand quilted.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:01 PM

http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html This is the link to a neat method talked about above from BadSkirt.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:13 PM

I've started a 3/4" hexie GFG and after taking a class from a well-known Aussie EPP quilter, I don't plan on any batting or quilting. I handled several of hers done his way to check things out. They each had a nice weight for a quilt and the two layers of fabric stuck together great even tho they had never been washed. So there's another idea to consider!! I will have put in a ton of time to get the EPP done so it doesn't bother me to not quilt it. I'm sure you will choose one that suits you in the end.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM

OK - thank you, June. The "badskirt" is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like a lot of work, but that is what I want. Thank you so much for the link.

Now I am wondering about sewbelle52's suggestions. Do you mean that the GFG top only had a backing? How was it attached if there was no quilting? I do not understand, but I sure do want to know more about it. It might be the answer to my problem, but I am not understanding how the top and backing got attached with no quilting. Please try to explain it to me. Thank you so much for your help.