Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG quilting and binding >

GFG quilting and binding

GFG quilting and binding

Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 AM

Default GFG quilting and binding

I have just completed a GFG top about 86x98. I was wanting to quilt it myself on my Bernina, but I am thinking it will be too hard and frustrating; I am thinking about tying it. Can anyone tell/help me about tying a GFG quilt? Also I want to add hexagons around all the edges to form the binding to be appliqués to the back. I am unsure how to do this. Do I add the binding hexagons before/after quilting/tying? I would appreciated any help/suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I don't like tied quilts. I only tie comforters.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 AM

I feel when so much work is invested in a quilt it deserves to be quilted. As Jingle says tying is great for comforters but I think you would be much happier if you quilted it...or had it quilted.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:12 AM

I don't care for tied quilts either, as I don't think they will hold up as well as quilted ones. I have no idea what a GFG quilt is, but could you stid (stitch in the ditch) with a serpentine stitch on the seams and tie in the center of the blocks, if they are larger than 7"-8"? I have never made a quilt that large, but I have seen quilts that size done on regular domestic machines. Craftsy has some classes that can help you with this.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:26 AM

What is GFG? I personally don't like tied quilts. it is difficult but not impossible to quilt on your home machine.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:53 AM

I have no problem with tied quilts......I think you would probably need to tie in pretty much every hexi and if they are small thats going to be a lot of ties. If you don't want them to show as much use thread colors that match each place that you tie and/or tie so the knot is on the back of the quilt. When I tie a quilt I use a high loft poly batting I just like how it looks.

So will someone tell me what you consider to be the difference between a quilt and a comforter?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 AM

GFG - Grandmother Flower Garden, made with paper pieced one inch hexagons. I do not normally like tied quilts either. I am just trying to figure out a way that I can do it myself. One lady who looked at my quilt top suggested tying it with pearl embroidery thread in each of the sox corners which would include several hexie's whwn tying one hexie's - very time consuming, but something I could do. I just want to be sure I will be satisfied because I have worked on this top for over two years. Besides the quilting, I need to know about binding it ?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 AM

Here's the results of a google search on how to make a GFG facing. There's a couple videos and sites to go to, hope one of them helps. https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to do it where it keeps the original hexie shape instead of cutting them straight or making half hexies. I did a baby quilt like this and really like it, I also machine quilted it, as much as I enjoy hand stitching hexies, I'm just not a hand quilter, .....maybe someday, who knows?!
http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html
Old 06-02-2015, 07:31 AM

I think tying it would detract from your hard work. I have pulled the backing to the front and then hand appliqué do the hexie edges down. You could send it to a long armer and get a swirled circle or baptist fan pattern quilted.