Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gingham quilt? >

gingham quilt?

gingham quilt?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM

One of the first lap quilts I sold was entirely ginghams---I LOVE them! My mom volunteers at a St Vincent DePaul store and found me a bunch of cotton gingham and I just received some larger pieces from a friend. I love the country look of gingham!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 AM

I just finished some Raggedy Ann quilts for Quilts-for-kids. I found 100% cotton gingham at Hancock fabrics. They had several pastel colors, might also have had red but I can't remember. So it is out there. You just need to look for it. Search the internet also. I would love to see your quilt when it is finished. I think gingham would be wonderful and not just for baby quilts.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I have a Rubbermaid tote full of gingham that belonged to my mother. I took it when she passed away in 1985. This is the Dan River gingham in all colors and all sizes of checks. She used it mainly for cross stitching pictures. I remember using some of it for curtains in my sewing room when I lived in Syracuse, NE. When I left there, the curtains came down and went with me. I've used a little of it from time to time since then but just hate to think of using it all....since it can't be replaced.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

http://www.thefind.com/family/info-c...fabric-gingham

Here's a place to find it.
Vic

P.S.
Fabric.com has it too

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e
Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
Has anyone made a quilt from just ginghams?

Kris
The first one I made 25 years ago was with ginghams for my husband. It was soft,, soft, soft. And actually held up pretty well. I remember it being sort of "fray-y" and hard to work with.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Estate sales, yard sales and thrift shops, church sales.

I've wondered a long time why certain fabrics were no longer being made. And I'd love to get some of the same thick, flowing
jerseys that is in an evening dress of my Mother's that fits me well. Cut on the bias and I love it, cream with huge reddish cabbage roses. I cut it knee length and added that fabric to the sleeveless top..after 60 you can't do a thing with floppy upper arms.

And then there was the crisp and crinkled fabric (forgotten what it was) that I was wearing when I got my first kiss...oh, bliss!!! Wonder what his name was....also can't remember it but do I remember that dress!!!
Think it was called seer sucker fabric..So funny about your arms - I'm not fifty yet but I do notice when I wave at someone it just keeps flapping lol
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM

For really good cotton gingham try Children's Corner. They used to import it from England I think but the price was not bad. They specialize in cotton, silk, and pure wool. Wonderful fabrics. Spent a fortune with them when my daughter was small.

I think the site is www.childrenscorner.com. They also have a big store in Nashville Tn that will take orders online and ship. Also a lot of kids patterns that are gorgeous. They used to have classes in lots of stuff too. I learned to smock, do shadow embroidery, make my own piping, and lots of other stuff. Love them.

DonnaD