Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: gingham quilt?

Has anyone made a quilt from just ginghams?

Kris

Blog Entries
    I was looking for cotton gingham and was told it wasn't made anymore. Lots of the poly gingham is available but it's not the same. Dotted Swiss is impossible to find now too.

Blog Entries
    Estate sales, yard sales and thrift shops, church sales.

I've wondered a long time why certain fabrics were no longer being made. And I'd love to get some of the same thick, flowing
    jerseys that is in an evening dress of my Mother's that fits me well. Cut on the bias and I love it, cream with huge reddish cabbage roses. I cut it knee length and added that fabric to the sleeveless top..after 60 you can't do a thing with floppy upper arms.

And then there was the crisp and crinkled fabric (forgotten what it was) that I was wearing when I got my first kiss...oh, bliss!!! Wonder what his name was....also can't remember it but do I remember that dress!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    Has anyone made a quilt from just ginghams?

Kris
    I have one my grandmother made from gingham and coordinating solids and it's beautiful...she used the all-cotton gingham and like other posters have said it's much better than today's ginghams which are thinner.

The crinkled dress was probably sear sucker! such a sweet memory!

30+ years ago I made a couple of gingham only quilts....They were cotton and poly, but the one is still OK. I made it as a baby quilt for my son.

Blog Entries
    My MIL did - a long time ago. She made a baby quilt with the 9-patch using 3 of the gingham colors (yellow, purple and green if memory serves). It was - ahem, dainty - but in my opinion too boring.

the reason I was asking, I have several flat rate boxes that I can fill with ginghams fabric scraps. The are all the poly/cotton blend - I just didn't know if anyone would want to purchase any? I would think they would be great for spring/summer quilts

Blog Entries
    SOme people like to use blends in their quilts and if the price is right, I'm sure someone will get in touch. Times are tough and fabric is expensive.

Thanks so much Martina - I have no idea what to price them for - the pieces aren't tiny - most are atleast a FQ - some are up to a yard and so much can fit in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    SOme people like to use blends in their quilts and if the price is right, I'm sure someone will get in touch. Times are tough and fabric is expensive.

100% cotton gingham is hard to find but not impossible; look for it at the big discount fabric houses.Oh, gee, I wish I could recall where I saw it last. Dang! :?

i just love gingham!!! would love to see pics!!!

The very first quilt I made was from all different colors of gingham. I had no idea what I was doing and using scissors and pins made my first daughter a quilt. I have no picture and I must say...my ignorance got it finished. If I had know the rules or followed the rules...It would not have ever been finished. She's 26 now. =) She's getting married in April and I think I might just try and duplicate the one I made for her if I can remember~just in case one day she gives me grandbabies. =) I would be interested in some. This would be fun for me. =)

I guess that would be a good place to start is to take pictures :roll:

okay.. I'll do that - thanks so much for the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by raggedyann
    i just love gingham!!! would love to see pics!!!

I had picked up about 8 different yellow gingham fabrics at a thrift shop and made a quilt top. It turned out OK but I didn't like working with the fabric....it was obviously part polyester and flimsy....almost see-through. I have vowed not to make any more using that fabric.

Blog Entries
    i bought brown gingham at a hancocks that was closing a few years ago.
    i swear JA has it in the kids/baby section. cotton in different colors..

The cotton gingham is much nicer to work with! No, I have never made a quilt out of 100% gingham fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I meant Ramona - you crack me up! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Estate sales, yard sales and thrift shops, church sales.

I've wondered a long time why certain fabrics were no longer being made. And I'd love to get some of the same thick, flowing
    jerseys that is in an evening dress of my Mother's that fits me well. Cut on the bias and I love it, cream with huge reddish cabbage roses. I cut it knee length and added that fabric to the sleeveless top..after 60 you can't do a thing with floppy upper arms.

And then there was the crisp and crinkled fabric (forgotten what it was) that I was wearing when I got my first kiss...oh, bliss!!! Wonder what his name was....also can't remember it but do I remember that dress!!!
    Ramona - you crack me up!

Hancock Fabrics does carry 100% cotton gingham.

Blog Entries
    may be a regional thing...i can find ginghams...and dotted swiss, need to hit fashion fabric outlets if you are looking for fashion fabrics, here our joannes carry both. most quilt shops do not because they are not profitable/popular with quilters.
    and i am working on a gingham quilt right now for a special little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I was looking for cotton gingham and was told it wasn't made anymore. Lots of the poly gingham is available but it's not the same. Dotted Swiss is impossible to find now too.

I've done baby quilts using 1/4" and 1/8" ginghams then applique animals on top of the gingham.

I made a quilt out of just gingham for my baby girl in 1970.

Robert Kaufman has a whole line of cotton gingham now called Carolina Cottons, tiny 1/8 inch checks in maybe 20-25 different colors.

I made my son's baby quilt out of gingham, 22yrs ago. LOL. It was poly cotton. I didnt know anybetter at the time and it worked out ok. Just have to be careful and pin more. the gingham is a little slippery. Yes, we still have the quilt. It held up very well.

I made two, one for each twin bed in our bedroom. Mine has 4 square patches alternated with plain fabric on which I used Artex paint and did flowers and his is 9 patch with sashing. Still using them and I have a box full I have been saving, witing for inspiration. I love gingham. You could embroider the alternate patches with the theme of your choice.
    Made a quilt for a friend using her mother's gingham aprons with the cross stitching on them, turned out beautiful.

Carol J.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast