Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving the quilt is bittersweet >

Giving the quilt is bittersweet

Giving the quilt is bittersweet

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I hope they get it soon and really love it..

however a word of caution..NEVER give details about the quilts you are shipping to anyone..not even the PO worker who could just be playing DUMB to get more info out of you...
quilts are valuable, and yes, they MUST be shipped insured, but the contents of the box do not need to be disclosed to anyone..ever...

be sure to post pix!
It is hard to give away especially when we put a lot of time and effort into it. It would have been a good idea to get a written appraisal for insurance purposes before sending. Not everyone values a quilt as worth more than an ordinary blanket but with an appraisal there is proof that your quilt is not an ordinary blanket. The appraisal could have also been given to the couple for their insurance, in case of theft, fire, etc. You might want to suggest that they get one.

I think shippers actually have the right to inspect what is sent especially if insured for a high dollar amount. They're not asking because they're looking for stuff to take(its a federal crime). They need to check if the item is what is stated and the condition to make sure someone isn't trying to scam them(example someone sending broken glass then claiming the shipper broke a priceless family heirloom that's been in the family for centuries) and to make sure it's properly insulated against damage. There are also some items which can NOT be sent through the regular mail/package channels so they have to have an idea what is in there in case someone is trying to send such an item. You can tell them no but if you do don't be surprised if they tell you no we won't send.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I am sure it will arrive safe and sound. You have let the recipients know to expect the package I hope. Also you have the tracking number so you can track its progress on line. That always helps to ease my concern when shipping a quilt. I check it daily until it arrives at its destination. Looking forward to your pictures.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Looking forward to seeing it and glad you were able to educate someone in the process.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Good thing is it is doubtful a postal worker will risk losing his job over 1 package. When my dad died expectedly in 2006 I made his brother a memory quilt incluing pictures of him running a marathon, pictures of his cats and his orchids. When I shipped it fex ex ground (I find it cheaper and more reliable then usps) they require you to list the contents of the box. Even though it only cost me around $100 I paid to insure it for $1,000.

A word of caution - I found out a few months later from a client thats in management at fed ex as a quilt I shipped was lost. They only pay actual value or replacement value. If you pay $100 for something and insure ot for $1000 they will not pay you $1000 unless it costs that to replace. I had to purchase new fabric and forward the receipt and a list of my work billed at a "reasonable rate". They ended up paying me $463 of which $109 was fabric replacement.