Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glad Press-n-Seal for FMQ, and another related question >

Glad Press-n-Seal for FMQ, and another related question

Glad Press-n-Seal for FMQ, and another related question

Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Glad Press-n-Seal for FMQ, and another related question

There is such COOL stuff being used in the quilting world! I just found this via a Pinterest pin; it's such a great idea!

Using Glad Press-n-Seal for Free Motion Quilting

My next question is this: with any of these (paper) piecing/sewing methods, I am envisioning a MESS under my stitching of (paper) that I simply won't be able to get out without a) ripping my stitching or b) at the very least pulling/stretching my stitching. With a 12 SPI spacing, it would seem an ugly process to rid a quilt of anything that is used to guide the stitches.

What am I missing? Is there another step or tool that I need to easily remove the residual paper/plastic mess?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM

fmq you just let your imagination guide you, you can also mark out what you want it is really fun just play with it
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Hi newbee-
I've never FMQ'd before, and I know I need to practice, practice, practice...
I saw this as an alternative to marking...which I'm not entirely comfortable with doing yet- especially on the face of a quilt...I'm sure I'll get over it at some point...
Oh, and I'm a little OCD...if I'm going to be doing this for the first time on a "real live quilt" (after practicing), I didn't wanna muck it up, so having a pattern to go by would keep me from zigging when I should have zagged...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I've heard that it is difficult to remove the Glad. As far as I can tell, the Golden Threads paper is the easiest to remove, and at least any tiny bits of paper you miss would dissolve in the washing machine.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM

I found the glad press and seal a real pain to get out from under my stitches. (I used some to when I did some hand quilting, so my stitches weren't exactly tiny) also I used a red sharpie to mark my quilting lines and my thread actually took on some of the colour so now it is pink
As for paper piecing use the cheapest paper you can find and use a slightly smaller stitch than normal, and tear carefully, it should all come out. If there are tiny pieces left they would wash out when you first wash the quilt.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
also I used a red sharpie to mark my quilting lines and my thread actually took on some of the colour so now it is pink
If it makes you feel better, I used a red sharpie to mark lines on interfacing, and after sewing them all, I now have a nice red line across the bed of my sewing machine
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM

skittl- try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser on that...I bet it comes off.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

I tried the cling wrap and was disappointed how it shifted. I prefer tissue paper with one pin in it for shapes and just FM the rest.

Teeler, the Magic Eraser didn't remove the yellow chalk from a marked quilt - another disappointment.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I need to use the magic eraser on my machine beds. Lots of colors that don't bleed onto each other, does on the machine beds. I haven't done PP yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I found the glad press and seal a real pain to get out from under my stitches. (I used some to when I did some hand quilting, so my stitches weren't exactly tiny) also I used a red sharpie to mark my quilting lines and my thread actually took on some of the colour so now it is pink
As for paper piecing use the cheapest paper you can find and use a slightly smaller stitch than normal, and tear carefully, it should all come out. If there are tiny pieces left they would wash out when you first wash the quilt.
I can ditto both of the results that Woody had ... stained thread and a real pain in the butt to remove the press-and-seal. I can tell you I won't be doing that anymore. Yes ... it WAS much easier to place and quilt on than golden threads but the problems removing it coupled with the fact that I can really only use it with very dark thread ... I won't be doing that again.