Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gluing binding -- new idea (at least to me) >

Gluing binding -- new idea (at least to me)

Gluing binding -- new idea (at least to me)

Old 05-08-2014, 06:27 AM

Default Gluing binding -- new idea (at least to me)

I'll admit, I haven't searched to see if someone has come up with this....but want to pass it on.
I've read the hint to use Elmer's glue to hold down the binding to hand stitch down. The idea was to get a fine tip and an iron to hold the binding in place. To me, it was messy and unacceptable. I ended up with glue everywhere.
The other day, wanting to finish my quilt fast, and still having problems with my left hand I tested using an Elmer's GLUE STICK. WOW! It was fast to apply, just had to hold the binding for a half a second and it adhered. When it came to stitching by hand, my left hand didn't cramp up from trying to hold the binding in place. Made the stitching go lightening fast!!!!!

One hint though.......mark where you started the hand stitching with a safety pin. And if you stop for the night or whatever, put another safety pin in the stop place. Believe me, I couldn't find where I'd started stitching -- LOL.......

Hope this helps all of you --- especially those with arthritis!

dee
Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the tip, I was reading about using Elmers Glue, but I think it would be quicker, easier and neater but using the Glue Stick. Don't know why I didn't think of using it on quilting, I use it for everything else. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the tip!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Great tip! I have found a 3-pack of the little glue sticks at a local dollar store. I say great score!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I have used a glue stick to help keep the binding in place while I was hand stitch the binding to the back. I finally bought some of those small Clover clips and they seem to make things much better than straight pins.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM

I have used the glue sticks for binding many many times. Much faster than liquid glue and holds just as well. You can find them at back to school time very cheap, specially at walmart. Store them in a ziplock bag and they will keep for a long time.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Just make sure the glue says WASHABLE!!!! and I tried the binder clips.....the hand doesn't like them either.....arthritis, fractured wrist, broken elbow.....combined, means I have to do what I can without stressing the left hand. I've done the clips in the past.....I like gluing a LOT better.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM

I've have used the glue sticks putting seams together instead of pins, especially where a lot of seams comes together. Works great. Prefer the bottled glue for the binding, a thin fine line works for me.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Lightbulb

I have a little boy quilt almost done. Can't wait to try glue stick!!!!!
Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Just make sure the glue says WASHABLE!!!! and I tried the binder clips.....the hand doesn't like them either.....arthritis, fractured wrist, broken elbow.....combined, means I have to do what I can without stressing the left hand. I've done the clips in the past.....I like gluing a LOT better.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM

I skip all of the glue , and use iron on fusible web. You can buy 1/4 inch web on rolls. I buy it when Joann's has the notions wall on sale for 50 percent off.
I fuse it into place then stitch.