Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gluing is GREAT!

Gluing is GREAT!

I am so excited! I spent an enjoyable Saturday finishing up a lap size UFO top. Instead of pinning the rows together, and pinning on the borders, I used Elmer's washable school GLUE and it was terrific! I don't think it took any longer than pinning and was so much easier. I just laid the rows out on my ironing board, dabbed on tiny dots of glue and pressed. Then when I started to sew, the sewing was faster because there were no pins and it was a breeze to do those long seams, something I usually don't like to do with lots of pins.

So thanks to all the QB members who have shared their gluing experience. I will be putting the rows of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street together next week, and will skip the pins and use glue. I'm a believer!
    Laura

I have not tried gluing. I will have to see if we have an equivalent to elmers school glue in the uk

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your positive experience
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy74 View Post
    I have not tried gluing. I will have to see if we have an equivalent to elmers school glue in the uk
    Just make sure it's "washable" school glue. That's the key.

I did the glue also after reading the posts! I will never be without washable school glue again. HOWEVER, if you are like me and think MORE IS BETTER, control yourself. I made mine too thick w/ glue and the machine stitching was not even (like sewing through alum foil)...so soaked it to remove the glue and let it dry and started over.

I use Aleene's No-Sew fabric glue because it doesn't need pressing and will wash out.

Blog Entries
    I love using Elmer's washable school glue. I hve found that even if I press it and need to re-position it, all I have to do is pull it apart and re glue. Much easier than using the 500 spray baste.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Yahooooooooooo so glad to read about your positive experiences with Elmer's Washable School Glue ..... sure wish I had stock in Elmers.

http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2008...nd-quilts.html

I use it to bind, love it!

I have heard of Elmer's glue but not the Aleene's No-Sew fabric glue. Did a search. Sear's has it for .77 cents, not sure where in the store though. Hobby Lobby has it for $2.99. Amazon for almost $5. Have a Hobby Lobby near by and will check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elmer's is available by the GALLON at office supply stores like Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc. It's much cheaper that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy74 View Post
    Make sure that you test the glue and fabric on scrap fabric!! When I first tried using Elmers Washable School Glue, I only had a tiny bit; ran to the store and they had a really great special on some other brand. I tried it and it stained my ironing board cover, my fabric, by binding and I had a terrible time getting it off of the iron (even using a pressing sheet). After that experience, I personally, will use nothing but Elmers Washable School Glue.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    I am a True Loyal Believer in Elmers Washable School Glue! I use it all the time now from everything to glueing seams to applique and basting a quilt!
    Brenda

I started using the Elmer's after watching the Sharon Schamber videos. Love it! Just recently used it to match up seams (instead of pins), couldn't believe how easy it was and the seams matched perfectly. I'm with the others, less is better--"a little dab'll do ya!"
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

After my first quilt last year and lots of stabbing with pins, I read on this board about the glue. I used on my second quilt and just finished a baby blanket today (will post pics later). I think I have been using too much glue as it has been stiff, but the washable glue is the best invention for quilting ever! I will be trying the 'less is more' approach on my next quilt! Even with all the extra glue I probably used, it was still the best. At least I have experience with both and know I don't like pin sticks....especially if I am not sick! I pick up a bottle of off-brand washable glue at Fred's for 50 cents every time I go in there and have quite the collection of glue in a bin now.
    Thanks to everyone who ever posted about the advantages of using glue.

I wanted to say that not too long ago someone posted that Elmer's was made in China. I just couldn't believe it....kinda breaks my heart to see so much from China. Well, I was in the store and looked at 4-5 different products of Elemers and they all stated USA. Just for your info!

Blog Entries
    Please share the proportions you use when cutting the glue for spraying.

Elmer's school glue can be diluted with LOTS of water. I had just a tiny bit left in my
    bottle...quite thick after all these years. LOL I just filled the bottle with water and
    gave it a good shake. Got 90% of my quilt basted then finished with another washable
    glue. In other words...don't hesitate to dilute the glue...it will still work. If it drips...just
    wipe it with your finger and carry on. I had a little accident because I didn't clamp my
    batting on. I had an ugly crease in the batting and I knew I couldn't live with that so
    I just sprayed and sprayed with water until it was soaking wet then unglued that part
    up to the edge then soaked up the water with a dry towel. Didn't have to add
    more glue just pressed and it was like nothing happened. Happy glue basting!

I just "discovered" using Elmers glue. I have been using that instead of pins to match seams in a postage stamp quilt. I love it!

I tried it and I will NEVER use pins again! I did my sandwich in grids....let dry 24 hrs..and quilt away.....wash afterwards....and beautiful!!!!

Yep, I used Elmer's washable school glue and it worked like a charm - just a tiny bit, a warm iron, and WOW! I realize now that what I didn't really enjoy about piecing was putting rows together and adding borders because of all the pins. This was so easy, and when I went to sew the seam, it was nice and flat. Will definitely have to try it on the next binding.

Would never have tried this without reading it here. :-)
    Laura

Blog Entries
    I used it to baste my last two projects, a wall hanging and a baby quilt. It worked great. I applied to both sides 1/2 at a time and then left to dry overnight. I like it the best of any basting methods I have tried thus far.

Its always intersting to hear of the different techiniques. Glad you had a great outcome.

Blog Entries
    Elmer's Washable School Glue is not a glue but a heavy starch. It's safe for kids and fabrics. I use Roxanne's Basting Glue too and it's great and has the long very thin applicator. I refill an empty Roxanne's bottle with Elmer's to use when gluing a border or binding. I use Appli-Glue (washable) for matching seams and holding fabric in place as it doesn't need heat to hold instantly.
    Got fabric?

I just glue basted to kid sized quilts and I love it! I basted both of them in half an hour and now have them ready to sew at my Wed. morning quilt group. I love to glue the bindings on, as well. Whoever came up with this idea is a genius!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast