Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gluing a broken ruler >

gluing a broken ruler

gluing a broken ruler

Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I would think buying the better acrylic glue would be worth it to do the repair right. As you said the ruler is expensive to replace.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 AM

I super glued a longarm ruler (twice) that I dropped on a tile floor (twice) and a little piece broke off. It was my favorite ruler, so wanted to try and save it. The glue worked. Go for it. What have you got to lose by trying.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:27 AM

super glue and clear packing tape would be the way I would do it. Treat it gently after that too.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:00 AM

I use Gorilla Glue for everything - either the plain glue or the white stuff that bubbles up and spreads, but that is not for plastics. Just a thought. Edie
Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 AM

TENAX-7R is a product used by model railroaders for attaching styrene pieces, but works with acrylics. Hubby said it's not very expensive, so try a model railroad supplier. He has several little bottles of it. It works as PaperPrincess says. You apply with a cheap throw-away little brush. It works in 11 seconds, so it does not damage the material.
Maybe you've already done it, but if anyone else has this problem, try going out of the quilt world to find a solution.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 AM

I've used Gorilla glue on mine & worked great. Rulers are expensive so it's worth a try!!Just GO for it!!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:37 AM

If you do try to glue it, Try E6000
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Your break seems to be very small...I broke a large wave ruler in half. I thought, this will never work again, even glued. I used super glue and it worked great. I even tried to put pressure on the ruler by bending slightly to see if it was going to hold up. No problem. If you accidently put too much glue, wipe it with polish remover. If it dries with a rough spot, just use an emery cloth...but I didn't have any issues with a rough space. My break was 6.5 inches and all the way across the ruler. Best wishes
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 AM

I have had my DH repair 2 broken rulers with super glue and both are good as new. I don't have to handle them more carefully than I do my others. One broke in the mail and the other broke in the car. He used waxed paper under the crack and it peeled right off after the glue dried.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltnNan;6699058]Has anyone done this successfully? What did you use? Any other tips?

I've had this Mercury ruler for many years but have not used it. With all the talk of hexies, and my quilting bee friends doing hexies, I got it out to show them. My mistake was to lay it on the empty passenger seat. So it broke at the weakest point. I'm thinking of using super glue. But I'm worried that the glue will stick out in places causing the ruler to not lay flat. It was suggested to position it between two other rulers with a protective wax paper, or such, under the crack and glue it that way. Then take a razor blade to shave off any drippy bumps. I'm not even sure that super glue would be strong enough on acrylic rulers.
TIA for all of your advice.

You might try epoxy or liquid nails both are inexpensive. I think the liquid nails would work I've used it to glue plastic to foam board.