Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter? >

Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter?

Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter?

Old 06-13-2016, 04:31 AM

Default Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter?

A good friend of mine has been bitten by the quilting bug-yay! She wants me to go machine shopping with her-she has been using her daughter's Singer, but after sewing on my Bernina, she would like to get something a little more functional than what she has been using. Her budget is $500. Reading reviews online, Brothers seem to be popular...any suggestions on specific models, or other brands? I watched a YouTube video review of a basic Janome, and to be honest, it didn't look like it had the features I think are necessary-needle down being one. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 AM

I have the Brother CS6000i which I really like. It comes with a quilting walking foot. I got mine from Amazon but I am sure they sell them in other places possibly WalMart.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 AM

Default sewing machine

I have always wanted a bernina, but they are so expensive. My first computerized machine was a Brothers Novice 1200, but Brothers don't make it any more. I was able to save money quickly to buy it. I bring it with to sewing class because it is light weight and had no problems and had it for 10 years. I was inspired by some of the ladies in my sewing classes by using old feather weight Singers. I was so inspired I took my old machine out, oiled it and use it for piecing. I forgot what beautiful stitching it sewed. It is very important also to choice a machine that your can bring it to someone that can fixed your machine.

Last edited by Bekkieokie; 06-13-2016 at 05:42 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 06-13-2016, 05:47 AM

What features does she want and what are her "must haves"? There are Janome models in the $300-400 range with needle up/down. I liked my DC 1050, and have heard great things about the Janome 7330 Magnolia as well. Brother makes good ones under $500 as well, with lots of features. I advise she test drive some different ones if possible. One will just "feel right" and she won't want to leave the store without it!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 AM

Just based on my experience, I would recommend Janome or Babylock.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 AM

Even the low end Brother's and Janome's have a pretty good reputation, which can't be said for the new Singer's. I would suggest going to a dealer, that way you get service and lessons on the particular machine, whichever one she picks.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

For a beginner, I don't think needle down is that important. I rarely use that option on my Bernina.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:59 AM

I love the option to have the needle down! I would not get one without it!

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
What features does she want and what are her "must haves"? There are Janome models in the $300-400 range with needle up/down. I liked my DC 1050, and have heard great things about the Janome 7330 Magnolia as well. Brother makes good ones under $500 as well, with lots of features. I advise she test drive some different ones if possible. One will just "feel right" and she won't want to leave the store without it!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

We have discussed this topic a lot of times before. It is all a matter of personal preference, desired features, price, etc. Even the basic Brother machines get good praise from those of us who use/have them vs. hearsay from folks who don't. I have several basic Brothers, one at each son's house and I have never needed a dealer. The instruction manuals are very good and easy to follow. There usually is one at Costco at any given time. Try using the search function and see what else you can come up with.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I love my Juki TL2010Q! It costs roughly double what she wants to spend, but it's all metal and is built for quilting. If she's going to be primarily quilting, it would be a great investment. Will make her quilting easier and more pleasurable.