Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good, Beginner's Sewing Machine? >

Good, Beginner's Sewing Machine?

Good, Beginner's Sewing Machine?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Default Good, Beginner's Sewing Machine?

Hi, all.

I'm looking for a sturdy, reliable machine to being quilting on. My family had one when I was very small, but it was broken by accident. I have no idea what kind it was.

I've been scouring the web all weekend, but it seems that just as I find a machine to fit the bill (my poor wallet), the reviews convince me otherwise. It seems to be about a fifty-fifty split on most of them, too.

As mentioned previously, I'm looking for a machine that will be reliable and easy to use, since I'm a greenhorn. Low cost would be a bonus, since I'm a full time student. What types of machines do you all use? What do you suggest?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest a older Singer 301 or Singer 400 series. They are made to last and easy to clean and oil. They make great first machines and will last to be your back up machine years from now. They are usually $50-$100. Read the reviews on these machines. I think you will be surprised. No bells and whistles but great stitches and very reliable.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM

I just got about a month or so ago a brother sq 9050 and I really like it. It's got lots of stitches and quilting functions. However not a big throat but I will hand quilt most of my quilts.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM

I would get a used machine from a reliable quilt shop. Most of them have trade-ins and will allow you to test drive the machines before purchasing. They will also know the reliability of the machines they have.

Happy quilting!!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Check out www. Tuesday Morning.com. Compare to www.amazon.com for a small Singer.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Depends on your budget. You can buy a fairly descent machine pretty cheaply at stores like Walmart, or you can go to higher grade machine stores and see what they have that you can afford. Many sell used machines for good prices.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM

I got a Brother SQ9000 from walmart for $200 and love it! It came with all the quilting accessories. I think its the SQ9050 now but same machine just more stitches. I used it for almost 4 years before I got a new machine. I still have it and use it when my baby lock is at the dr. I made a twin size with it and stitched in the ditch to quilt it. It was a tight squeeze but doable.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Get a good used machine. Higher quality at a cheaper price.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

I agree get a good machine,used from a dealer gives you the bonus of help and maintenance in the future.
get the best u can afford and u will not be disappointed .
Good luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

Your best buy would be a used machine. I'm not a big fan of Singer but they are easy to find. If you have a shop in your area that does sewing machine repair, you might check with them, and the local quilt shop. A model several years old of a good brand like Pfaff or Bernina won't cost the world, because it won't have all the bells and whistles that are on their current machines but if you're just getting started, that probably won't be a problem for awhile. You don't indicate what your price range. Just avoid buying a cheap, brand new machine because a cheap machine will be a constant frustration to you while you're learning.