Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good book/tutorials on precision piecing? >

Good book/tutorials on precision piecing?

Good book/tutorials on precision piecing?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:22 AM

Default Good book/tutorials on precision piecing?

I am unhappy lately with my piecing. Maybe I'm not being careful enough, but I need a refresher course on piecing accurately. Does anyone know of a good book or maybe some free tutorials?
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 AM

Have you checked your 1/4" measurement....using the three strips, sewing, measuring? The " mark" that guides your seam sewing is vital to correct-size blocks..not to mention, of course, accurate cutting.......

Some days I get what I call "sloppy" ........ That's the time I stop and re examine my seam guide, my cut pieces and finished block to try to find out what I did carelessly.....makes me get back on track......and realize that to get a good finish I have to slow down and concentrate on what I'm doing......or just leave and do dishes or something!!
Old 10-09-2014, 04:00 AM

I think for many of us our piecing inaccuracy lies in our cutting. I frequently forget to use the same position on my ruler when cutting strips/pieces. Am I this side of the line; that side of the line; etc. When I'm not cutting/sewing I keep thinking I should put a piece of tape (even just a small one as a reminder) of where I want to read my cutting measurement. Then, of course, when I get into the sewing room, I forget all about doing this. In the end, I feel my work is 'good enough'. My pieces/points match where they are supposed to. Sometimes my seams might be a tad small but who is looking at the back of my quilt? As long as it's going to stay together (which they all have so far), does it really make a difference?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

The art of machine piecing, by Sally Collins. If you act fast, you can get a used version for postage on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...qid=1412856477
Old 10-09-2014, 05:53 AM
IQ2

there's a Craftsy class on precision piecing: http://www.craftsy.com/class/precisi...31031&_ege=168
I haven't taken this one, but I have taken other Craftsy classes and they're great.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:31 AM

I would also recommend Sally Collins. She has two books I've read, the one mentioned above, and 'Mastering Precision Piecing'. Harriet Hargrave also has a series of books called 'The Quilter's Academy' which has projects that build your skills from the ground up.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
I am unhappy lately with my piecing. Maybe I'm not being careful enough, but I need a refresher course on piecing accurately. Does anyone know of a good book or maybe some free tutorials?
Any help will be appreciated.
http://mishkasplayground.com/learn-t...-for-accuracy/
You might be able to use this one for a refresher.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I watched Jennifer Ofenstein, Fandom in Stitches, sewhooked.com It was a 30 minute video and very good.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM

I agree with Paper Princess - Sally Collins art of machine piecing, or something similarly titled, is what I bought when I was a new quilter but beyond the basics. MTS on this board recommended it to me, and I thank her (or him?) for it.

You need to read it through, for the philosophy, not just for tips. It really helped me to understand the value of precision and embrace the time it takes, rather than rushing through to see the results. It's a kind of zen thing for me, and I have gotten to really enjoy the time. Character building for Sue!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:53 AM

I got the video "Sally Collins Teaches You Precision Piecing" after watching her on "The Quilt Show" and found it very helpful. Along with all her other ideas she recommended using Clover Patchwork Pins Fine to match up your intersections. I think my piecing has improved following her hints. Also I am not one to sew with as much speed as possible. I like to slow down and enjoy the process. This is what makes piecing fun for me.