Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good deal? >

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 AM

We used to see those ads a lot, however there has been no home ec in Nebraska for years, so how could they be school machines??? I think they are overpriced cheap machines liquidated because they are models that didn't sell or were lemons and I wouldn't buy one for all the tea in China. I would much rather buy a high model used machine than one of those. These sellers will be there one day only and when they are gone, they're gone, no way to return and no one to complain to.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have to laugh at the "school model". Apparently the advertisers have not caught on to the fact that schools no longer offer Home Ec or any other kind of sewing class.
In Wisconsin we still have sewing classes. My granddaughter made a beautiful dress that she wore for her Talent Show performance. That was when she was in seventh grade, just four years ago. My other granddaughters sew also, as does one grandson.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 AM

I bought a White "school machine" many years ago for 149.00. It has proven to be a great little machine. It has never been to the shop. I keep it clean and that is it. All it has is three lenghts of stitches, three zigzags, a hem stitch (I'm having a senior moment and can't think of the name of that stitch), reverse stitch, and a buttonhole. It is heavy duty -- stitches well on jeans, and it's what I use for my machine quilting.

PS. this demo/sale was at A Singer Co. shop.

Last edited by GailG; 05-23-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 AM

cosco has a brothers xr1355 that quilts and all even does some embroidery for 135.00 and if order at home 169
Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 AM

I bought one of those machines years ago and was not real impressed. Their idea of serging is just plain zig-zag. I wouldn't do it now.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Been there, done that. But I am just a sucker for a bargain.....However, I still have the one I bought, I think during the mid-sixties in South Carolina. It is an off-brand, but I can't remember what right now--maybe Good Housekeeping. Does all kinds of zig zag type stitches, but pretty noisy (and quiet is important to me); mostly my grandkids are allowed to use it now; and is two tons heavy. Taught me a lesson that has lasted all these years. I am into the vintage Singers now., and oh yeah. new Elnas.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Louisiana still has sewing. It is called FACTs now. My daughter teaches sewing, fashion, how to care for small children, and conflict resolution. Another teacher teaches cooking, meal planning, shopping for meals, reading labels. They have their class for 1 semester and then the students switch classes.
I helped my daughter checking out all of the machines after setting all summer last year. They were heavy metal, old, but sewed like a dream. The school had gotten six new machines for her class. They were like the older machines but didn't fit in cabinets.
I don't know anything about your add, just giving a little information.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM

This is a "step right up and I will show you my snake oil" come on. These ads appear at least annually and have for many years. These never were school machines and I can about guarantee that if you go, you will not be shown one in the advertisement.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
This is a "step right up and I will show you my snake oil" come on. These ads appear at least annually and have for many years. These never were school machines and I can about guarantee that if you go, you will not be shown one in the advertisement.
When I went to the demo they looked just like the ad. But they didn't impress me and I was not tempted. Plus only the sales guy sewed on them. No one else could.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:26 PM

It is a come-on ad, don't buy one, for one thing Singer is no longer the Singer us older folks knew & loved, that company no longer exists, the name was sold so low quality items can be sold under the "Singer" name.

That being said I have gone to 2 of those demos, many years ago (before Singer went all the way downhill) and the salesman was very skilled at techniques, I never bought one of the machines (he does throw in a lot of snake oil-LOL) but I did learn some good techniques in using a machine.

So it isn't all a waste.

Some of you might be interested in googling Singer history, esp. about the more modern histery of 10 or 15 years ago, an owner embezzled the company and that was the end.