Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this a good deal? >

Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

you might watch CL and see what you can find in your price range
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Many States still have FACS (foods and consumer science) classes in middle and high schools--it depends on the district--and whether they can get teachers--so very few young people going into that field. The sewing machines they buy for school are heavy duty--all metal and usually with no real bells and whistles--maybe zig zag and a button hole stitch. Most clothing classes will have sewing and also fashion info--care of fabric, etc. At my former school (retired), the teachers included a quilt (very simple 9 patch) unit as it was a fairly easy way to teach cutting (although not using a rotary cutter--too sharp for middle schoolers) and keeping an even seam.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 PM

While in Florida my friend fell for this ad because then she could leave one there. Had talked to me on phone describing this --serger part and how to use-- the demonstrator said was shown on the included dvd. Did research.
It was not and was nothing but a complicated foot but did cut fabric.
She brought north to Ontario for me to check. Saw another part --white with red Singer word on the top that goes on like a walking foot that will apparently cut fabric. Haven't actually seen it work as the lady that bought that machine never had time to try it due to sickness. My friend wants to buy that part as she expects to use it as serger . I know it won't be the same but she is not complaining about sewing machine anyway.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't believe that "serger" foot actually cuts fabric; at least the one I had years ago did not. It simply guides the fabric edge so the machine can do a zigzag stitch enclosing the cut edges. A serger uses 3 threads, so the stitch itself is not at all like a serging stitch; just a zigzag type stitch. Most sergers these days have differential feed (controlled feeding of the top fabric along with the bottom fabric) which makes it easy to finish the edges of knit fabrics without stretching; a sewing machine, even with a walking foot, does not have differential feed so knits tend to stretch and distort.

There are a few sewists who actually use the "serger" foot, but most do not find it useful. It is definitely not a substitute for all the things a real serger can do.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 AM

I went to one of these demonstrations quite a few years ago. Decided it was a sort of scam, but did go home with a thread-cone stand for $10, that is pretty tippy.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:42 AM

I wouldn't do it. If it looks too good to be true then it probably is.

It's sad that a lot of places don't have Home Ec anymore. I know my baby sister took it a few years ago but the teacher (who was also my teacher) must be close to retirement. Who knows if they'll continue it after that. It seems they keep on eliminating all the classes that teach useful skills.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:38 AM

If these singers were in fact 2014 and they are from schools, why in the world would they be selling them already -they are the current year? Schools use their machines for quite a few years before they update. Be careful.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Are they made in China???
Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 PM

Believe me, these machines are pieces of JUNK.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 PM

These ads have been around many, many years. I would be fearful of getting one. If you have a problem with the machine in the 25 yr warranty, who do you take it to and want does the warranty cover. If they say, "you can go anywhere, don't believe them. You may have to send the machine to another part of the country. The schools in my area buy locally, as the dealers would service the machines through the year.