Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A good laugh >

A good laugh

A good laugh

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Default A good laugh

I've been quilting for a while now and my quality has improved quite a bit (if I dare say so myself). Last night I decided to pull out some older projects that have been put away in project boxes to see what I had. One was a machine applique from an early class I took (we are talking early '90s). I still liked the colors of fabric I picked but when I pulled out the finished blocks I busted out laughing. (My DH even came to investigate what was up.)

OMG - what a disaster. I used no interfacing. I used a decorative stitch that competes with the pattern. There are areas where I barely caught the edge. The blocks are huge and lumpy and I have NO IDEA how I can fix this mess.

Sitting here scratching my head. Any tips on how to beat this puppy into submission?
Attached Thumbnails img_0826.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Yeah ... DON'T!

Seriously ... as it is, I like it as "Shabby chic" look. Use it/them in a rag quilt and instead of quilting a big X on the rag sandwich, quilt a single echo around the applique. It will look like it "belongs"!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I've been quilting for a while now and my quality has improved quite a bit (if I dare say so myself). Last night I decided to pull out some older projects that have been put away in project boxes to see what I had. One was a machine applique from an early class I took (we are talking early '90s). I still liked the colors of fabric I picked but when I pulled out the finished blocks I busted out laughing. (My DH even came to investigate what was up.)

OMG - what a disaster. I used no interfacing. I used a decorative stitch that competes with the pattern. There are areas where I barely caught the edge. The blocks are huge and lumpy and I have NO IDEA how I can fix this mess.

Sitting here scratching my head. Any tips on how to beat this puppy into submission?
My first thought was to stretch it on a canvas frame and use it for a wall hanging. The design would be perfect for a framed fabric design
Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Ditto what she said.
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Yeah ... DON'T!

Seriously ... as it is, I like it as "Shabby chic" look. Use it/them in a rag quilt and instead of quilting a big X on the rag sandwich, quilt a single echo around the applique. It will look like it "belongs"!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Cut it apart and use the sections for potholders?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I forgot to mention that this beastie has brothers and sisters too. Thanks for the feedback. It gives me ideas to ponder.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

A big puffy pillow form will fill out the block and make a beautiful accent pillow.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
A big puffy pillow form will fill out the block and make a beautiful accent pillow.
...or a puffy, high-loft batting, if you sew them together into a quilt.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Starch , starch and more starch?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I would mist the blocks and block them to get them as flat as possible. After they dry, I would add batt and backing and machine quilt the heck out of it. I might trapunto the flowers, use a higher loft batt and pebble or stipple the background.