Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • GOOD NEWS Washing Fabric GOOD NEWS >
  • GOOD NEWS Washing Fabric GOOD NEWS

• GOOD NEWS Washing Fabric GOOD NEWS

Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for the tip. I got a pinking blade for my rotary cutter today. Can't wait to try it.
    Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 PM

On the question re: washing fat quarters, I goofed and said I wash all my fabric when I get it home.

Not true with fat quarters. I wait to see how I am going to use them. If it is for a purse, or anything besides a quilt I usualy do not wash. But if I am using the fat quarter for washing I but in in one of these nylon bags that are for womens delicate unthings, and while the fat quarters are in the bag I wash on a gental cycle and dry normaly in dryer.

I cut some fat quarters with the blade and they also did not fray. I always use the color grabber sheet. They are not that expensive and well worth the money.
    Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaRae
    On the question re: washing fat quarters, I goofed and said I wash all my fabric when I get it home.

FIX MESSAGE DO YOU CAN MAYBE UNDERSTAND

fat quarter for QUILTING I PUT IT IN THE washing but in in one of those nylon bags that are for womens delicate unthings, and while the fat quarters are in the bag I wash on a gental cycle and dry normaly in dryer.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by gj
    I was buying fabric yesterday and commented that I was headed home to wash all of it and the ladies all looked at me like I was crazy! They said they never wash it because it will fray and possibly shrink.
    ummm... that sounds like an excellent reason to prewash it before you invest a lot of time and money into making a project of any kind!
    Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by gj
    I was buying fabric yesterday and commented that I was headed home to wash all of it and the ladies all looked at me like I was crazy! They said they never wash it because it will fray and possibly shrink. I bought fat quarters? Am I the only one who washes before cutting? These fabrics have a lot of dark colors and I worry about the fabric bleeding.

Hm, I wonder, what do those ladies sew? Shrinkage will happen after you sew anything, quilts, clothes, anything that needs washing!
    Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 AM

thanks for the tip on the blade. I'm going to JoAnn's today and will pick one up....I think the fraying is my pet peeve.

Just my 2 cents worth on washing. I am making a tulip quilt as a graduation gift for one of my grandaughters. I'm using RED hand dyed & batik fabric.Good thing I decided to wash it ....just in case. The red did run a lot, especially the batiks and would have ruined my beautiful quilt. I used the color catcher and as a secondary precaution soaked all the fabric in vinegar water until I saw no more "pink." I now feel secure that she won't have a pink/red streaked quilt the first time it is washed. :D
    Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 AM

I always forget about the vinegar tip. Thanks for the reminder!