Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good stitch to use when binding
>

Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know what is a good stitch to use when binding? I tried the slip, but didn't like the looks.

Thanks,
Joyce

Old 09-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Administrator

press the folded edge under first.

stitch as though you were doing applique. teeny tiny stitches, bringing your needle straight up through the layers, catching only two threads of the binding, then needle straight down through the layers.

or stitch in such a way that you catch only the top and the edge of binding that's been folded under. sounds a lot harder than it is. there are a couple of ways to do it, but neither is very easy to describe. experiment with some scraps until you find a method that works for you. it won't take long. just trust yourself and dive in. :P
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 AM

Since I just spent the weekend putting binding on two quilts, I can tell you what I do.

I make a french binding (long strips folded in half lengthwise and then sew on the top of the quilt.) I fold the folded edge over and slip stitch it, careful that not only does the thread blend with the backing, but that the stitches don't show. I stitch about every 1/8 of an inch, and I make a knot every few inches to help keep it secure.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Use a blind stitch, not a slip stitch, to sew the binding to the back. As Patrice said, it's the same stitch used for applique. With thread that matches the binding, pick up just one or two threads of the backing fabric exactly underneath the edge of the binding, then slide your needle into the fold in the binding. Bring the needle back out of the fold about 1/8 inch away from where you entered. Repeat. The closer together you make the stitches, the more durable the binding will be.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM

I cut my material 2 1/2 wide fold in half and sew on my machine 1/4 from folded side to edge of the quilt and just flip it to the back side and do a tiny stitch like when you applique.
I must be strange cause I really like binding my quilts. Maybe because it means I'm done and ready to go to another project.But I also hand, quilt not machine. Sometimes I have to quit for a few days to give my fingers a rest they get pretty sore. I use a thimble for pushing but you just gotta feel the needle to know it's gone through and ready to go back up.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM

http://www.quilterstv.com/?bcpid=133...s_&_techniques

I watched this today and found it very helpful for finishing the binding with your machine.

Linda D.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
http://www.quilterstv.com/?bcpid=133...s_&_techniques

I watched this today and found it very helpful for finishing the binding with your machine.

Linda D.
This is how I do mine.

On a side note....Love in the video where she says 'Sue anne is right here'. :lol: